CHILLAGOE & MUNGANA CAVES


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Chillagoe
October 18th 2011
Published: October 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Thought we would do something a bit more energetic today. All this sitting around is making us a bit lazy! So off we went day tripping to explore some caves west of Cairns.
Very dry all the way out to Chillagoe. Heaps of cows to slowdown for all looking skinny and hungry! Only passed two cars on the whole journey. The temperature was stinking hot and humid so not really great for scrambling through caves and probably explained why no one else was out there.
We had a good time. Peter got more and more daring as we went but I had to say no at the Bauhinia Cave entrance. It was a pitch black hole only just big enough to fit through and almost vertical!
We saw stacks of butterflies, no bats and lots of little animal poo. The temperature in the caves is much cooler so it ended up being a good thing to do after all.
The trip out here is well worth it for the scenery. The land turns very dry and red with spectacular big rocky outcrops like “Balancing Rock”…you can see the photo of Peter trying to hold it up. There was a little bit of aboriginal rock art at Mungana and an interesting drive through the ruins of the old Chillagoe Smelter.
Hot chips for lunch next to the golf course just to add a bit more fat to our ever expanding waists!



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb