Weipa


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cape York
August 4th 2011
Published: August 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

A lot has happened since our last blog, we spent a night just north of Coen by a little stream where i fixed a few minor damages to the car. The road turned nasty just after Musgrave Roadhouse with corrugations 300mm apart and about 150mm high we thought the car was going to fall apart i have never seen anything like it. The camp near Coen was free and very nice and the plan was to travel to a cattle station for the following night and then on to Weipa.

We pulled in to Merluna Cattle Station at lunch time and the car gave us its first sign of bad things to come, problems getting it to start but it wasnt till we went to leave the next day that the true extent of the problem was revealed, it would not start and with the help of a mechanic on the phone and 3 other campers we diagnosed a faulty fuel pump which is housed inside the tank. A tow was organised for the next day and a new pump was ordered so another night at the station was to be had. We didn't mind staying another night as
The mail plane arrivesThe mail plane arrivesThe mail plane arrives

This plane arrives at the station every friday and during wet season is their contact with the outside world.
the owners at the station were lovely and they put on a fantastic spread for dinner in which the campers can take part in for a small fee, good old fashioned country hospitality.

The next day we watched our vehicle get winched onto the tow truck hopped in the cab and off we went to Weipa, but not the way we had planned. Oh well its all part of the adventure and the tow truck driver was great he gave us a commentry on the scenery and Weipa, answering all our questions, showing us around town, stopping so we could take a photo of a croc on the beach and then helping us unpack the car at the campground before taking the car to the workshop. Nothing to do now except chill out at our beachfront camp untill our part arrives. 2 days is all that took and it turns out just a bit of bad luck with a fuel pick up sucking air and the pump seals dying being what the problem was. Once mobile again we had a good look around town and found out that Rio Tinto pretty much runs it, the Bauxite here is high quality and with 2 more mines planned they seem to have enough here for the next 50 years without even trying. Town also doesn't really want for anything with the shops (even Woolworths) and services around the place catering for all there needs.

The fishing in Weipa is excellent with the boat option being your best bet, but that was not an even a consideration for us as the threat of croc and shark attack was enough to keep the kayak out of the water. Two attacks while we were there, pitty though as the mud crabs coming back to camp from the boats were massive. We did ok though even from the beach, landing ourselves a few meals of fresh fish.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Croc on the beach at WeipaCroc on the beach at Weipa
Croc on the beach at Weipa

Very big crocodile looking very tiny in photo! Hopefully you can see it.


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb