The Bore track


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Camerons Corner
July 9th 2006
Published: August 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day 2: Broken Hill - Bore Track

We woke to a very cold morning, probably about minus 10. There was a frost and ice covered everything, from our clothes, chairs, swags - anything left outside basically. All of the water was frozen (even the water in containers). Dad had a basin for washing stuff in which had frozen overnight. He threw the water (or ice) away and poured some more, which 10 minutes later had frozen over!

I got the fire going which provided a bit of warmth (and enabled Luke to cook the usual breakfast of sausages, bacon and meat patties) while we packed up the camp. I remember my hands were frozen as we packed chairs and swags away. There was a beautiful sunrise and we managed to get away at about 8:30am. We saw several kangaroos, eagles, cows and sheep on the road and made it up Tibooburra.

We stopped at a spot off the road and unpacked the swags and sleeping bags so they could dry out. We left Dad guarding them (with a box of 12 lamingtons) while Luke, Esther & I went into the town to fill up with diesel at $1.62/litre. We come back to find Dad asleep on the ground with half the box of lamingtons empty! I must admit they were nice though.

For lunch Luke got his generator and sandwich maker out and soon enough we were having toasted sandwiches in the outback.

We then headed towards Cameron’s Corner (where South Australia, New South Wales & Queensland all meet). Just before we got to the site, we passed through the Dingo Fence (which Esther had the honour of opening). We had an ice cream in the local pub and then made our way along the Bore Track. We had to stop at the homestead at the start of the Bore track to pay the $10 fee (plus pick up the highly detailed map) and headed off. The Bore Track is mainly an access road for oil company vehicles and for property owners, but we still took it anyway!

That night we camped in a very dry area, with very red sand. After having the usual sausages, patties, chops, potatoes and peas it was time for sleep!

Distance today: 511 km
Total distance: 1120 km










Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

TibooburraTibooburra
Tibooburra

A long way from anywhere...
Luke and his generatorLuke and his generator
Luke and his generator

Making toasted sandwiches in the desert...
Dog fenceDog fence
Dog fence

Watch out for the Wild Dog Destruction Board
Cameron's CornerCameron's Corner
Cameron's Corner

Petrol pumps
Bore TrackBore Track
Bore Track

Campsite


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb