Sail Away


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » open water
August 7th 2018
Published: August 18th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Captains Log Tuesday
day 1 of P&O cruise sailing 4pm from Cairns to PNG.We had organised to board at 2pm but arrived at 1pm, hot and sweaty from the 1 km walk along Lake St from our motel. We were swiftly ushered from bag drop, to inside, to this spot and that by a very efficient local team of people dressed in blue and white check shirts. Within 30 minutes we were on board and in our cabin. Score 1. Score 2 our cabin which is on deck 4, room 4011 which is the wheel chair room. So huge, massive open space with 4 portholes, couch, desk. Only down side is we can feel all the ups and downs and bangs being right up the front. Next stop The Pantry which is the buffet dining option on board. Themed such as Mexican, Asian, Roast, Seafood, Sandwiches, Salads and lots of other options I chose a salad and then a chicken fajita, Martin a roast. Explore the ship comes next, loads of little nooks and cranny types of bars, two themed fine dining free restaurants, 2 pay for fine dining, waterfront restaurant, grill, ice creams, coffee, best to use the stairs often.Decks 7& 8 have most of the entertainment, shopping and action happening, deck 6 is the big walk around, decks 11&2 sports, deck 9 adult only pool. We chose the front end of the ship and the top bar for a sail away cocktail, taking us through the misty headlands along the coast of Cairns. More walking, unpacking, lifeboat and life jacket drill and then trivial pursuit at 5pm in The Ocean bar deck 8. This bar also stocks decent coffees, as does a couple of other places. We got 8 out of 20, the winners got 15. Big prize P&O key rings. Waterfront fine dining tonight, small portions, with a different menu each night. Many of the wait staff are not the usual Filipino, ours was from Vanuatu. Loads of Pacific island looking staff everywhere. 8pm tonight was the first show, a taster of the comedian, magician, lead singers, dancers, and the cruise director welcoming us on board. We arrived at 7-45pm, flat out getting a seat. Mostly Aussies on board but also others from USA, Germany, Canada, NZ and loads of Queenslanders. Called into the Casino tonight and stumbled into Aussie trivia and managed to answer a question and got a random prize which was a $30 bottle of wine! Score 3. Too tired for Karaoke tonight, will give it a go another night. Back to room and planning for our next day which is a sea day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb