Vegemite


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
April 17th 2013
Published: April 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Escaping the 'bad' weather in Melbourne we headed north. However, after days of constant rain, we were fast losing interest in Cairns. Running out of things to do in the rain we booked a waterfall tour (on the premise we couldn't get any wetter) and spent the day seeing the green rainforest and swimming in the waterfalls. Little did we know, we were following in the (famous?) footsteps of Peter Andre (remember that music video?) and the Herbal Essence commercial!

Just as our tans (and smiles) were fading, it was blue skies and 36 degrees. The busy malls were emptied and the once quiet lagoon was filled with backpackers soaking up the sun, swimming and having BBQ's. With Cairns being one of the top backpacker destinations, there are a mixture of accents (mainly English, German and Swedish) but none of them Aussie!

We have been told about the creepy crawlies, snakes, crocs and the infamous drop bear. The drop bear looks a bit like a koala except with eyes closer together. It lives up high in the trees and drops down and attacks. Unfortunately it particularly likes to attack tourists, so speaking in an Australian accent can help. Luckily an umbrella or pointy hat can deter the creatures, as can putting vegemite (a Martmite-like creation) under your arms. We must have been lucky...









Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement




22nd April 2013
Peter Andre Waterfall

MILLAA MILLAA????
This looks like Millaa Millaa Falls, part of the waterfall circuit in the Atherton Tablelands. The others being Zillee & Ellinjaa. Did you see Ravenshoe Falls nearby as well as they are Australia's widest?
23rd April 2013
Peter Andre Waterfall

Millaa Millaa
Yes! It was Millaa Millaa and Eillinja Falls - very pretty. We didn't make it Ravenshoe Falls unfortunately.
22nd April 2013
Waterfall

ELLINJAA???
This looks like Ellinjaa Falls. Swam there over 30 years ago...then a hidden paradise...hope it still is!

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb