Goodbye to Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
May 5th 2006
Published: May 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone

We're currently in Airlie which is a coastal town and the gateway for trips around the Whitsunday islands. Tomorrow we're off on a three day trip sailing around the islands and shoudl be really good. Since Noosa we travelled up to a place called Hervey bay (or Scurvey bay) as some call it due to it not being a very good place. It was however the gateway to trips around Fraser island and we enjoyed a 2 day guided trip. Was amazing, Fraser Island is basically the largest sand island in Australia with a length of 123 kilometres. It also has fresh water lakes on it which we swam in and loads of wildlife. We saw Sharks, dolphins, swimming turtles and bats. We had a ex tank driver as our bus driver and we needed him. The roads were really bumpy, it was like been on a theme park ride.

After we left Hervey bay we travelled up to a ranch called Kroombit where we spent the night. We got to wrestle goats and do some clay pidgeon shooting. I hit 2 out of five which i didn't think too bad for a first go but Cathy got 3. Obviously an Assasin in her spare time.
So that was cool and we just spent the last day on a bus from 6 in the morning to 7 in the evening to get to Airlie beach. We stopped once to place Lawn bowls as a gentelman's club on the way. Yep that's right, Lawn bowls!!!!! That was pretty extreme. So a bit confused where that fits into the whole Oz experience but we did it anyway.

Just to explain i am now writing this part a week later so now we're in Cairns. We did our trip around the Whitsundays from Airlie in our boat Powerplay which was really good. Got to snorkel and see the beautiful beach of Whitehaven. Saw turtles and big fish etc... Also the food was pretty good and neither of us got seasick.

We then left Airlie and moved onto Magnetic Island. Rested there for a few days. Highlights were seeing a crocodile called Rintintin who was kept in a bar's garden (huge!) and riding to Horseshoe bay on bikes. Our last night was also the full moon party so that was fun.

Next we travelled to Mission beach and en route stopped at a crocodile farm. Was pretty cool, saw lots of crocs and got to hold a small one and a snake. This irish guy called Lionel who was with us chose to get bitten by a snake (just to see what it felt like!?!?) but it wasn't poisonous. At mission beach it was only a stopover but we had Kangaroo steak for dinner and it was absolutely amazing. I have never had a steak so tender, really good.

The next day we travelled up to Cairns and stopped over at a bungy site. We just watched as people hurled themselves off platforms and then arrived in Cairns. We've been here for the last few days and today we fly back to Sydney. That is what's happened in very breif details and because it's been so long since our last blog we have thousands of pictures so i'll try to put on as many as we can.

Yes, we got them on. hope you all enjoy them. We'll be in contact from New Zealand

Lots of Love
Guy and Cathy
xxxx



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Assassin CathyAssassin Cathy
Assassin Cathy

Cathy bags her third shot in a row
Cathy the genieCathy the genie
Cathy the genie

Guy found a miniature Cathy on the beach
Mommy and Baby possumMommy and Baby possum
Mommy and Baby possum

Two possums posing for photos on our balcony
RintintinRintintin
Rintintin

We were grateful for the wire
Guy and a big snakeGuy and a big snake
Guy and a big snake

Guy makes friends with the locals


Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb