Wednesday April 12th


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
April 12th 2006
Published: April 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday April 12th

Today we’ve booked the Scenic Railway to Kuranda, and the Cable Car back to Cairns. Our train leaves at 9:45 so we get an early start, and head out to the train station. This rail line was made in the 1880’s to get water and supplies to the mine workers up in Kuranda. Specifically a drought brought on the need for the railway. We arrive at Freshwater Station (the closest place to Kuranda to get freshwater in the 1880’s) and get our tickets. The train ride is 1 hr and 30 mins and we go through 15 tunnels carved out of mountains by hand. Man the guys building this railroad had tough tough work. We arrive up in Kuranda, and walk up and down the main streets, buying a few shirts and small things. We stop at a place for lunch up there, and enjoy some good food. It’s time to head back down on the cable car. Apparently it’s the longest cable car in the world, some 7.5 kms, with 2 stops. Its pouring rain here and we decided to skip the stops. It was really cool though skimming over the tree tops, listening to the birds and wildlife below. Kind of reminded me of the Jurassic park movie. We arrive at the bottom, and grab a bus to freshwater station, where our campervan is parked. We then went into town to find an internet café, and did some updating of the blog. We even found a barber for Kirk, as he is getting a bit of a heed. We are still hearing from Wes how much he misses Natalie at Wavelength.

More tomorrow!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb