Bye Cairns


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
October 16th 2023
Published: October 16th 2023
Edit Blog Post

After an all too brief visit to Cairns to celebrate the boy's birthday, we headed once again toward Kuranda. This time by car rather than tourist train or Skyrail.
As you pass over the Kuranda Range, rainforest changes quickly to dry eucalypts, grass trees and bigger ant hills.
Davies Creek was our first stop. Massive granite outcrops with cool clear water making its way to the Barron River.
The 850m circuit was a nice walk with some scrambles over rock face and pretty creek spots as well as a good view of the falls that would no doubt be very different in wet season.
Next stop was Emerald Creek Icecreamery. The chocolate ginger was exceptional.
We visited Meerba to grab a couple of things from the IGA.
Kust past there Mount Uncle distillery had 4 gins, 2 tequilas, 2 rums, a whiskey and 2 liquers on offer (i did a tasting paddle of 6) with an excellent platter plus there were peacocks and llamas and old machinery around the lovely grounds.
The magnificent curtain tree fig has a board walk around the base for a good view but we didn't spot any tree kangaroos, just bush turkeys, broken down tourists and load locals.
We really wanted to find a platypus though so after our first try at the bridge on the way into Yungaburra was unsuccessful, Wayne got a tip from a local whole checking out the real estate window. So we spent some time at Allumbah Pocket where many cheeky platypi played. The walk by the river with a suspension bridge, shady seats and stepping stones is lovely but being able to see platyus up close in their own world, jiggling around through the mud to find a feed was amazing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Yum!Yum!
Yum!

I had chocolate ginger plus espresso. Wayne had coconut and also bought some bolting.
Yum!Yum!
Yum!

I tried the original, navy, ooray, christmas, a tequila and coffee liquer.
Yum!Yum!
Yum!

Cheese, figs, ooray jam, pesto, dried fruits and crackers.
Platypus swimming.Platypus swimming.
Platypus swimming.

Taken from suspension bridge at Allubiah Pocket


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb