Cairns, Queensland, Australia - 9/6/10


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
June 9th 2010
Published: June 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi!

Another entry so quick? We've got 3 hours free internet at our campsite so I thought I'd take the chance to update you all again!

We're in Cairns now after a couple of days of respectable national park visiting! After leaving Townsville we stayed on a small campsite in the Girringun national park with no hot showers or much else - we ended up not only worried about the wildlife (of which there was plenty, including rat kangaroos and cassowaries) but about being in some kind of terrible 'people go camping and don't come back' style horror movie. I was following Sarah down a path with her head torch wobbling from side to side and we both had a 'Blair Witch' moment! From therein I was convinced that was it; we were going to end up a meal for some mountain-dwelling redneck.

In fact the worst thing that happened was that on the way back from reading the map near the tent in the morning we came back to find a small herd of cattle near our tent! We then headed off to Wallaman Falls, Australia's largest single-drop waterfall, and walked down the very long steep path to the bottom. We then had to walk back up, which was less fun.

Then we had a quick coffee in Ingham, the apparently Italian town near, and stopped for the night in Cardwell, a very small but very pleasant and friendly town on the coast. Today we went for a quick drive around another national park and had a nice dip in the spa pools. Well, Sarah did, I got cold in one yesterday (near the waterfall).

We're going to put the car up for sale tomorrow and then head to Port Douglas for a day or two.

Tim

Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0294s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1011kb