Rollingstone/Sth Mission Beach/Cairns


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
December 23rd 2008
Published: December 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We were recommended this small town/campground and it was great, we drove down past pineapple platations into a lovely campsite. We descided to chill out for 2nights. It was right on the sea front (no swimming - Salties) with a lovely pool and large ponds around the site.

Again we didnt do alot apart from sunbathe, read, listen to the Cricket(borning!!), and go swimming in the big tropical swimming pool.

We used their camp kitchen to save our gas in the van and i was reading a notice about Townsville snakes and I looked up and I thought there was one on the ceiling beam, Stu thought he would have a closer look, theres me telling him to be careful it might go for him, we then realised it was a pipe. God I am blonde!

This site is one of the best ones so far!

We spoke to other campers and they said South Mission Beach is nicer, so thats where we headed and it was lovely, again right by the sea and a nice swimming pool. We only stayed for one night. An English couple from the last site, parked up next to us, so we got talking to them and ended up giving them our chairs, HP Brown Sauce, Chill Flakes, Garlic and desk fan, as this was our last campsite with Princess the van. This was our 57th campsite.

I cleaned the van inside and made sure everything was fine, as we were heading to Cairns to hand back the van. We had already booked our hostel in the sea front in Cairns.

On the way to Cairns we took another scenic drive through Teak and Banana platations and stopped at a castle (ruins from the 1920s) and it was stunning, the setting was great, large waterfall, swing bridge and we saw fresh water turtles inthe water.

We got to Cairns and checked in our hostel (the receptionist is about 90 and spoke like she was taking something very strong!) but we have a nice room with ensuite, looking over the swimming pool, and its only a short walk along the front to the main town and Lagoon. The Lagoon is pretty new, there is no swimming inthe sea here because of the crocs.

We had a bit of a nightmare with the van, we had arranged to take this back at 3pm on Sunday, the office was closed, so I rang the head office, he told me they dont work on sunday and nor does he, so bring the van back the next morning at 8am, so no lie in for us again! But everything was fine with the van!!

We stayed here 2nights and we're heading for Sydney tonight for Christmas and New Year!

WE WISH EVERYONE A GREAT CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY, HEATHLY NEW YEAR!!

Love us xxxx




Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Castle - RuinsCastle - Ruins
Castle - Ruins

Parnella Park


Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb