Hell Blocks


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
June 11th 2003
Published: November 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

elo

So the blogg is really blastin hot this week....i am responding to myself! Anywho, i am 3 days deep into my boat work experience and it is bruising hard. i know you must be thinking...o shut up brad...living in austrlaia...but i aint kiddin. This is seriously the hardest work i have ever done. It is a bit difficult to describe what i have been doing....the basic scrubbing and painting is constantly happening all around in awkward places...but the real stinker is putting what are called balists in what is called a bilge. A balist is a gold bar looking stone that weighs about 50 lbs. A bilge is a tiny sweaty stinky wet hard metal chamber that must hold these things....about 50 of them. The reason being they must counter-balance a large heavy staircase on the other side of the boat so its even. I dont think you can imagine how difficult this is....but i was full-body sweating for about 8 hours....and constantly getting minor pains/cuts/bruises etc. The worst of this came early on when i smashed my finger between 2 of these evil hell blocks. It hurt terribly. When this happened...somehow or another i could suddenly taste blood in my mouth..and lo and behold...my finger is full of blood. what they call a blood blister. Should hurt for quite a while..until my fingernail falls off. They said i could try to put a needle through it to drain the blood. I had lara try this....which hurt an indescibable amount...and it didnt get but a few drops. so the result is my left forefinger is swollen and it hurts to move it or touch anything....making typing this posting quite a task....and also going back to work refitting a boat in harsh marine industrial conditions for 12 hours a day less than appealing. but i push-on, because even if the body is weak...the mind is Strong! 2 more days of this....then i get dive certified for the next 4.
I have made some effort to get a website up with some pictures. it is crap..and you actually have to go to the page, then click the link to the page....but then it should work. http://users.rcn.com/b.fotsch
the pictures at the end are kite-surfers. We went to the australian championship for it. looks like heaps of fun.
please dont let me post to myself again. i feel so alone!
tootlie-doo
BRad


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.288s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.2298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb