Campervan adventure over.....


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
July 14th 2007
Published: July 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi All.

Well we sadly handed Joey (Campervan) back to day, just before the shop closed and incurring a hefty fine, Kel's eagle eye spotting the depot just minutes to spare. He has done us proud, covering some 3000 kms in just under 2 weeks. Add to that are trip by road from Sydney to Brisbane and we have amassed over 4000 ks which in plain English is about 8 trips to London and back from Newcastle, a pretty long way, especially since Dave had to do all the driving while Kel just relaxed and enjoyed the scenary.

Its been an adventure, and some nibble driving skills were needed to avoid particpating in Australias favourite drivers sport.... Road Kill. For those of you who are not aware of this past time let me take a few moments to explain. Kanagroos at night wait by the side of the road in anticipation for oncoming vechiles with headlights blairing only for them to jump straight out in front of you, hence you could call them crazy kangaroos. Now I know why the rental guy pursuaded me to take ridculous insurance as if one of those things hits you, I think Kel would have needed to be sold to cover the costs. You could not go a few kms without seeing those brave Kangroos beside the road.

Places we have visited on our way have included the following:

Noosa : Awesome little town, great little shopping boutiques, great surf, and big expensive houses.

Hevery Bay: Waiting place for trips out to Fraser Island (see below for details) pretty boring.

Fraser Island: BEAUTIFUL - we spent two days and one night here. This place is approx 100kms long and 20 kms wide and is made entirley of sand. ( fact of the day there is more sand here than in the Sahrah Dessert ) what makes this so unique and a World Heritage site is that all vegitation grows in the sand, there is a big long techincal word for it but we can't remember. Also on this island they have beautiful freshwater lakes and creeks which are bascially just rain water...so you can drink it. Water is crytsal clear, your not allowed to swim with sunscreen on in case in imbalances the purity etc... Our transport was a big 4x4 bus with a crazy driver called Murray. However, Murray was a fountain of knowledge and enlightened us on Austalia history and culture.

Airlee Beach: Gateway to Whitsundays, bit more lively than Hevery Bay. Shark musuem big eye opener, again some good shopping, had big man made salt water lagoon on sea front ( as sea too dangerous to swim in - sharks!!!!) Couple days spent chillin'.

Townsville: Fairly big city, same old same old, not too bad over all, big thing had North Queensland Cowboys rugby league team, went to see their local derby against The Broncos, much to kels delight.. Sadly they lost.
We stayed at lovely tourist park very luckly only one space left for one night for the next few months, locals say for someone to get a space someone has to die lol. Kel thought it would be a great idea to join the on site dinner party that evening ( Bargin $7 3 Course), however, we strolled over to be greeted by are fellow diners,all 25 of them, not one younger than 70! The party was rocking! Entertainment included raffle, Kel had her eyes on the chocolate. sadly we didn't win anything. Like outcast we were sat all by ourselves - the uncool kids! Bonus we got more food as we had no-one to share with. However after food we were invited to join a couple of other couples ( very nice people), we were overmoon, especailly as we had ran out of drink and they then continued to top up our drinks for the rest of the evening....well by 9 o'clock anyway as everyone had retired to their bed by then. Leaving the two POMs as loaners once again.

We have arrived in Cairns, we have 4 days here before we jet off to Bali. But to no surprise Kel has already hit the shops!!!

Next few days involve some Diving the barrier reef (nana don't worry there are no sharks on the reef - well so David has asured me), sight seeing, swinging from 40ft through the jungle on giant swing, bunjee - if David can pluck up the courage (don't hold your breath, he'll get up there and scream like a girl).










Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.034s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb