Gooners


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
April 1st 2007
Published: April 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

On mum's birthday we take a 4 hour plane journey up north and arrive at our destination Cairns.
We're greeted by a lovely Scottish lad and Canadian lad who i think take great delight in revealing to us that the Canadian was moved out of his earlier room due to a rat infestation!! mmm nice! The hostel didn't really get that much better from that point on, Michelle wasn't much impressed by the 'ghostbuster' cleaners who woke her up each morning, all the staff seemed to have an attitude problem despite the fact that they did no work and we were both unimpressed by the ants that attacked our food and the little thieves who nicked our chocolate bars!! Thats right, we now have to cook for oursevles as the budget kicks in - its like being back at uni. We also entertained 2 really strange Israeli guys who kept staring at us - very weird!!
So after that catalogue of errors we moved!! Stayed in a lovely YHA hostel - and there was me thinking they were all meant to be crap. Some of the people are quite strange though - got asked one night by a weird (we think he was German) guy to be quiet and that i had a big mouth even though i hadn't been talking very loudly!! And the stuff people eat here, saw one couple with spagetti hoops on toast with rice one the side of the plate, one girl just ate pasta with tomato ketchup and the weird German guy eats tongue sandwiches - its gross!
Cairns had been nice but with very little to do and as a result we've become addicted to the local delicacy, wine in a box or 'Goon' as it is affectionately known!!


We did however make a couple of trips!! We made a visit to the lagoon, a big lagoon like swimming pool, thats like an infinity pool that drops into the sea and we also drove up and visited a beach, but the weather was awful and we couldn't go in the sea, as the stinger nets hadn't been put out eesh! So we all had a sunbathe and for once i wasn't the one that got sunburnt - tis a break through!! Michelle and our 2 new friends, the Canadian being replaced by a Irish girl, all got burnt - well if you won't put suncream on guys!! tut tut!!
Think thats about it!


Advertisement



11th April 2007

choc bar and ants
Good to see you are enjoying the local cusine, but why not have chocolate coated ants, saves a lot of time and fuss. Nice to know your skin at last becoming used to the sun
11th April 2007

Going Away
Will have problems logging in to your Blogg for the next 6 weeks, how ever you may be meeting up with a relation of mine in New Zealand, that's of course if you get your timing right, they are living in Auckland and would love to meet up with you and Michelle. Will let you have their email address tomorrow. That will then give my ID away darn it!!! I was enjoying not being known.
12th April 2007

Riding high
Good to see things are going well, improvement (in most cases) in your accomodation, food etc. Now don't get too soft with all this luxuary.
13th April 2007

Winw -in-a-box
Good to see still doing the market research I note, be interesting when you get further south, don't forget----SIP do not GULP
13th April 2007

Cairns
Shame that Cairns has been a disappointment to you both - never mind can's win them all. Glad to hear about the sun tan though. Mother Number 1 and I are in serious training for the Race for Life and have managed to walk as far as the top of Howley Grange now!! What do you think of that then??!! Ha Ha. Wishing you both well. Much love. xx

Tot: 0.29s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.2215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb