Day 22


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
February 7th 2007
Published: February 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The previous night Em and I agreed that we weren't going to wake each other up so had a lovely long lie in and didn't really surface till lunchtime. We headed downstairs in our hostel to enquire about booking up the Whitsundays and Fraser Island trips to which the guy said we'd be lucky to actually leave Cairns at the moment since all the roads south were flooded and that they were expecting the Cyclone to hit at around 19:00 that evening. We thought 'great' we're stuck in Cairns for the near future with the black cloud and the rain. With our spirits slightly dampened we headed into town to have a bit more of an explore around the city.

Cairns has a gorgeous public swimming called the 'Lagoon' that is right on the sea front and whilst having a look around the sun actually came out.... for about 5minutes, but at least it wasn't rain.

That was the last we saw of the sun and by the time we got back to the hostel and packed our bags to move hostels it was really coming down. We had to walk to the next hostel with our bags so by the time we returned to the Calypso Inn for dinner we were just a little damp!

That evening we spent with the 'London Lads' off our intrepid trip. It was really good to see some familliar faces. Naturally the night started off with Em and I saying "no we won't drink to night" and finishing a little worse for wear (especially in my case).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb