10000km and counting


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Bundaberg
November 23rd 2009
Published: November 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We have finally stopped driving long enough to up date you all to where we have been in almost 10,000 kms!!

We did a day trip to the reef, saw lots of fishes but no turtles. The current was quite strong and had to swim hard to stay near the reef and not land on top of it. The boat rocked lots, and we both felt a little relieved to get off at the end of the day! When we were at Daintree we did a boat trip and saw lots of crocs on the river banks, thankfully they are not on the reef.

From there it seems that we have been driving for weeks. Headed first to Darwin, it tooks us 3 days drive and lots of money for fuel, Slept in lay bys so by the time we got there we were yucky, needed a night in a caravan site to clean up. In Darwin Russ swan in the CAGE OF DEATH, in a croc zoo type thing. He was in a perspect box that was dropped in to 3 croc enclosures. In one he was sitting on his tail, not that it seemed to notice. After swimming in the most dosile corcs ever, he then swam next to the baby crocs. We had pics holding crocs and snakes. But then the highlight was croc fishing. Were given a rod with meat on the hook that we dangled out of the enclose and they jumped to eat it. They pulled and we wreasled with them before the meat fell of😊

We managed to see 2 Scout groups, one group was having a huge water fight, with eggs, custard, paint, flour- very entertaining to watch. Very nice man left his hut open so we could use his showers 😊 2nd group was more serious and had a more conventional meeting. Darwin also has an outdoor wavepool where we spent a morning in a rubber ring.

Then drove to Katherine for a quick food shop and look at hot springs before the long drive south to Alice Springs. We drove thru Alice Springs on to Aires Rock, where we made it in time for sunset, which was pretty but not worth the $25 enterance fee!!!!! It did get us in for the next 3 days, so we did 2 sunrises and another sunset. We weren't allowed to climb the flippin thing, the only reason we had been driving for another 2 days. The wind was too strong at 25knotts, and temp above 36degrees. The temp when we were there was 45 degrees so really really hot. Then headed back to Alice Springs, saw another Scout group and again were able to keep the key and use their showers. Had a digeridoo lesson too, now we are experts at blowing rasberries into it! Also saw how they do the flying dr service and the school of the air, where they broadcast out to all the cattle stns in the bush.

Nothing much interesting on the road as we were driving, some huge boulders called Devils Marbles. Passed a man with a camel pulling th back half of a jeep, and a man pushing a pram full of water bottles in the middle of nowhere. There are lots of road trains too. They are 52metres long with up to 5 trailers so a bit of a pain to pass by as in England we would call in a normal B road, out here it is the highway! Passed lots of Kangeroos mostly in the form of road kill. Our total road kill is 3 birds (one that wrapped itself around the grill) lots of crickets (one that is still lodged in the grill, now its legless as a crow ate them) and a lizard that didnt run fast enough is now also flat pack.

Made it up to Townsville and into civilisation yipee😊 Didnt last long til we were back in the bush driving south down the coast. Scenery did change as we passed sugar cane area, which was actually green, but then brown bush again as it passed. We did stop at Airlie Beach, where we were planning to sail out to the Whitsunday Islands, but there is no wind at the mo, so would have to motor out. We decided to save our money as we already motored out to the Reef.

Tonight we are going to see turtles, we hope. They come and lay their eggs on the beach, so hopefully there will be lots laying tonight and we will be able to blind them with a flash😊 Then heading to Brisbane, stoping off to see whales and dolphins on the way, before paying our respects to Steve Irwin at Australia Zoo.

Dad A -Oz are aware of the 17 year winning streak, that they have now lost.

Mum L thanks for the numbers, does Keith know im in the country, is he expecting my call, and will he know who i am???!!!





Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb