The Great Escape - Our first Travel Blog!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
January 12th 2010
Published: January 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Home


Club Tropicana!!Club Tropicana!!Club Tropicana!!

Our farewell Partay!!
Well here we are on our very first Air Asia flight on our way to Kuala Lumpur!! After an emotional rollercoaster of hugs and goodbye tears, we finally flew out of the Gold Coast Airport on a perfectly sunny Queensland day. Typical. It’s also ironic that leaving your family and friends can bring all the people you care about so closely together, making it so much harder to say goodbye. It’s been perfect spending our time with family over Christmas and New Year; so many get togethers and excuses to celebrate everything at once - If I could recommend the perfect time to leave your life behind to embark upon travel overseas, it would definitely be in the new year. It’s a very achievable resolution if you plan well and want it badly enough!

Planning this trip has been such an eye-opening whirlwind, we’ve already learned so much about the places we want to visit, without even seeing them yet, which makes us all the more eager to do this!! If you’re serious, you have to do your research!! Start with this website if you want to backpack it - it’s helped me alot.

We first decided we would
Club Tropicana!Club Tropicana!Club Tropicana!

Boggy down
travel together after we visited the Escape Travel Expo in Brisbane in May 2007. That day we also discovered we were both entitled to EU citizenship, which is a massive window of opportunity, one we could not pass up, and so our fantasy to live the European lifestyle was born!
After visiting Thailand that same year we also realised that south-east Asia is just too cheap and too fun, we had to fit into our itenary as well. It’s the perfect destination, mind the ONLY destination where you can take a whole 6 months off work, a few grand each and live as kings, embracing many amazing cultures along the way. In late 2008, we put off this trip to purchase our gorgeous little New Farm apartment (*tear* as she’s now gone) and vowled that after 12 months of paying that bloody mortgage, we would sell up and leave our careers to persue this. And we’ve done it!!

So, now ahead of us is 6 months of hardcore backpacking, starting in Malaysia, we have booked a KL hostel for the next 4 nights then on Saturday 16/01 we'll boost to Singapore where we’ll spend 3 nights. After Singapore,
Club Tropicana!Club Tropicana!Club Tropicana!

Getting messy... that's how we do it!!
we’re not quite sure if we’ll just continue up the west coast of Malaysia for the following two to three weeks or make a stop-over at Sarawak and Sabah, two eastern states of Malaysia which share borders on an island with Indonesia and Brunei. We must sound crazy as it’s pretty spontaneous after the next week, no set plans until we meet up with ‘the crew’ in Phuket on Valentines Day!!...

Wow this Airbus is really getting some turbulence at the moment, my poor little Eee PC is not handling it very well. How lucky we are though, to have such awesome technology, we won't be getting homesick anytime soon!!

Until our next blog from the city streets of bustling KL...

Much love
Sami and Brent xx




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Club Tropicana!!Club Tropicana!!
Club Tropicana!!

Sami, Brent and Kayla... The SJV Crew!
Club Tropicana!Club Tropicana!
Club Tropicana!

Sami with Baby Jai
D-DayD-Day
D-Day

Sami with her backpack on... yes it's small... it's a 35 litre and it's all u need if u want to be a comfortable sane backpacker!
Morning of flightMorning of flight
Morning of flight

Brent's is a little bigger at 38 llitres... Just firts it alll in and our bags only weighed 8.5kg each!
We heart Air AsiaWe heart Air Asia
We heart Air Asia

So cheap and pretty good service for the price, food wasn't bad... Sam did manage to snap her ipod headphones though by squirming around in her seat mid flight
View from the top!View from the top!
View from the top!

Sami's window seat view
Sky HighSky High
Sky High

Great marketing!!


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb