OZ!!!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
March 25th 2009
Published: March 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well... what a class month. Been having a whale of a time and never got to update the blog.
We arrived to Brisbane airport on a Friday so perfect timing for weekend festivities. Claire met her uncle, Paddy, at the airport and they knew each other straight off, even though they hadn't seen each other in 10 years. Got back to his and had proper irish food for the first time since we left - meat and 2 veg and SPUDS - Lovely!!
The heat wasn't as bad as Thailand but still very hot. We went exploring and took a spin down the Gold Coast to Surfers Paradise - where all the beautiful people go. We fitted in quite nicely so 😊
On the way down, we saw a few places Colm loved the look of - rollercoasters gallore. So it was decided we'd definately be going there!!! But for the first weekend here, we headed for the city. Only a short spin in on the train. The city is brilliant. Lots to see and do. It's relatively small and very chilled out. Where else would you find a beach in the centre of the city - Streets beach!
Colm and Paddy entered a pool competition in the local. Not to give Colm a big head or anything, but he came 2nd and won $50 and a six pack of "Stubbies" (bottles back home!!!) Paddy got knocked out in the first round and still won a six pack. What a great first week. Beer and money 😊
First attraction on our list was Movie World. Loads of rides to go on but, of course, Colm HAD to go on the fastest one straight off!!! The Superman ride at 0-100kmh in 2secs. The picture that got taken on that is very funny. Claire wont let me put it up though. Went on a load more rides and at the end of the day there was a parade for the kids - Colm!!!
The next attraction, on the Gold Coast, had to be Wet n' Wild. A huge water park. Lots of screams here. Loads of big, fast slides. Colm got sun burnt AGAIN!!! Big red head on him 😊
You can't come to Australia and not see the Steve Irwin Zoo!!! Only another short spin up the Sunshine Coast. Being the home of the Crocodile Hunter, it was full of Crocs. Nice day out. Lots different Aussie animals here (obviously). Walked into one area and Kangaroo's just hanging about all over the shop. Fed a couple and petted a few others.
Another Aussie classic - the Barbeeeee. Claire's cousin, Peter, turned a milestone - 33 years young. the main ingredients in the bbq are meat, beer, meat, wine, meat, sweets, meat, tiny salad and more meat. Full day of eating, drinking and playing pool out the back. Colm's getting a pool table when we get home and I'm getting the WII 😊
Paddy's day over here isn't a 1 day affair. No, no. It started on the Saturday. We headed into the parade where everyone was donning green, white and orange, lots of kids and lots of fun. Then, the best part - the pub. Everyone is Irish on Paddy's day 😊 Met loads of Irish and met loads of beer. Went the pub at 2 in the afternoon and how we got home at 2 in the morning is still a bit of a blurr 😊 Dying on the Sunday though!!! What a great weekend for everyone - but Tuesday was for the dedicated. Dying on Wednesday again.
It's winter here now. Was hot when we arrived but is perfect now. Winter @ a high of 28deg is a bit weird.
Heading to the last theme park "Dream World" tomorrow. Supposed to have the fastest ride in the world. Apparently you have to get there at 10am cos it closes at 5pm and you barely fit it all in. Looking forward to that!!!
Hope everyone's well back home and had a great Paddy's day.

Catch ya later


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0827s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb