Goodbye in South East Asia, Hello Steak!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
April 14th 2008
Published: April 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello Group,

Now moved even further around the world as we arrived in Oz on Saturday night! So anyway when i last wrote i was still in Malaysia. After a creaky nights sleep on the worlds loudest bed- me being an active sleeper- we went for brunch at Limau Limau a lovely little cafe on Jonkier Street before heading over to the Museum of Enduring Beauty to be fascinated and disgusted by the pictures of people with tatoos everywhere, lip discs in their mouths and immense weights hanging from their ears!! We happily spent ages walking around there as opposed to the Kite Museum downstairs which was disappointing!! Afterwards we went for a walk around and then headed back to pack up our stuff before dinner (lush roasted vegtable pasta)- most of the restaurants close quite early so we were back in our room killing time by half seven- luckily with a tv CSI has become our new addiction and we were happily amused for a few hours!!

Tuesday morning we wondered out to get a taxi- after sampling the local Nonya pinapple pastries for breakfast- to the bus station where we then began a frantic dash as we arrived 10minutes before the bus we wanted to get left having not brought tickets luckily its a last minute country and 10minutes later we were on the road to Singapore- Last stop south east asia!! After a terrifying immigration as all the rules and fines on the wall as we passed we arrived in Singapore to the pouring rain as we dashed around our bags soaking looking for a cab but being careful not to cross the road in the wrong place. Libbys mum had already arrived the night before and was waiting for us in the hotel which we were all to stay in for our last 4nights. We headed straight down to the pool for some food and a quick dip before it inevitably clouded over and a massive thunderstorm began- we couldnt even see anything out the window the rain was so thick!! After libby and i scrubbed ourselves clean till we were sparkling for the first time in weeks! then we went down to Boat Quay- about a 5minute walk away- for dinner where everyone accosted us to try and get us to eat at their restaurants however old habits died hard and we went straight for italian!

Wednesday morning we headed over to Sentosa Island on luckily the day with the best weather all week- this was our first real taste of Singapore being expensive as tourist attractions are normally 50p but were now 14pounds!! We got the cable car across and then went to the Underwater World which even had turtles outside (as well as snakes!) before going down to the beach. The beaches are all man made but suprisingly quiet which was nice, having experienced lots of beaches i opted for an amble along it (which proved hot work) and a lay in the shade as opposed to a swim. The day finished off with a dolphin show with pink dolphins which you couldnt help but feel was cruel as they had very limited space to live and swim etc but was of course entertaining at the same time! By the time it was over we were incredibly hot so headed back to the hotel to wash!! Champagne and Canapes kept our hunger at bay having not had lunch but i didnt quite no where to stop which meant i wasnt as appreciative of dinner as i could've been!! We ate at the hotel restaurant overlooking the river which was a nice quieter side than Boat Quay.

Thursday brought the day of shopping as we headed down to Orchard Road to hit the malls and it proved fruitful as I came away with a lovely dress and shoes- both of which i will again be waiting till i get home to wear!! Shopping proved equally successful for Libby before we went back for afternoon tea and to book our beauty treatments!! Libby and Anne went for Canapes and Champagne while i had room service before it was time for my body rejuvanation- a body glow scrub and swedish massage! Both of which were definatley what i needed!! I had a stupid moment though when i walked straight into the shower with the slippers still on and didnt realise till i walked back out and the beauty therapist laughed at me!! I returned to the room feeling rested and ready for bed!

Friday morning Libby and I headed over to a different shopping mall to get the essentials e.g. conditioner but came away with heels- deciding we couldnt go out at night in Sydney without them!! It was incredibly good value though, in my defence!! After our last South East Asian lunch of Pho Bo for me i went back to rest in the room while Libby and Anne went to the market coming back laden with shopping. A third day running of champagne and canapes for them and my second as we headed down before the Night Safari. I think all the brilliant things you hear of Singapore Zoo had led to unrealistic expectations but it was still good to see the animals all lying around sleeping! A small hair-raising moment when a flying squirrel launched off the tree and swooped straight down towards us, my heart literally stopped as i pinched libby in fear!! The annoying thing was were not allowed to take photos!! We returned and I was absolutley shattered after the last week or two so fell straight asleep after finishing packing!!

Saturday morning we got up at the crack of dawn for our flight, I was convinced my bag was lighter because i didnt have a struggle to pack it but sadly it still weighed in at 17kilos! We had a mad rush to send postcards etc at the airport so didnt manage to properly enjoy the amazingness of the airport although it did seem very efficient! The plane journey was smooth and i managed to keep myself entertained with films and sex and the city!!We arrived in Brisbane to a customs scare not realising bags are actually scanned i hadnt declared the jar of marmite mum and dad had sent me so then quickly changed my card and panicked about that etc!! Anyway we then met Libbys family friend, Maria who was picking us up from the airport, which made a nice change! We arrived back at their house about an hour outside of Brisbane and had a few glasses of champagne before heading to bed but not before a nice spaghetti bolognase!!

Sunday morning we just had a chill day- they'd warned us people here get up early as the sun rises so early and low and behold i awoke at 6 becuase it was so bright but after an hour of not sleeping decided to grab the eye mask and try again!! After a full english breakfast with their sons as well we went for a drive around the local town and to visit the vineyard for wine tasting which was beautiful. The weather is a nice 27 degrees which is a lot less sweaty than we're used to and at night its still cold enough to wear jeans and a jumper!! We had a BBQ for dinner which was lovely having been so meat deprived until now! Some of their friends came over which was nice, although i was so tired i retired at half one, havin tested the Skype connection home although only available to see myself!!

Today we were awoken early to head into 'the city' by train with the younger son as our guide and where we then met Maria for lunch- Japanese Tapanyake which was the nicest meet i've eaten since my last supper!! However there was an interactive part of the show where we had to catch an egg in a cup and sadly i (unsuprisingly) messed it up getting raw egg all over my jeans, the floor, the food, my arms- everywhere!! Needless to say i passed on joining in with the rice catching!! The chefs are sooo talented! after that, and still covered in egg, we went on the City Cat Boat up and down the river as a way of seeing all the lovely houses on the riverbanks and getting some good views- it was lovely when the sun was out as well but when it clouded over (before the big storm in the distance tonight) it got a bit cold- which is incredibly exciting to us!! We wondered back via the shops but didnt actually go in them!! This evening was sausages, we're certainly making use of the meat, and some tv!! saw a very advanced episode of home and away so we're now addicted again after one episode! Tommorrow i think we're taking it easy, potentially going to start our running careers and one of libbys friends is in the area so may meet up with her! we're heading to the Whitsundays on thursday-probably we're booking it tomorrow! Then few more nights in Brisbane but a different area before heading south- already dreading all the bus journeys!!!


hope everyone is well

lots of love xxxx

Advertisement



14th April 2008

red meat at last!
I think you were ready to leave SE Asia behind after so long and the big cities of KL and Singapore were a useful transition back into western ways. You've got some big journeys ahead in Oz-hope you get chance to chill. can't wait to get your parcel and photos from Anne this weekend and look forward to getting photos of Jacko in Sydney!
14th April 2008

Steak City
All I can ask is - do those steaks know what is going to happen to them over the next four weeks? Pretty soon they'll think the sausages are getting it easy. Well done on completing SE Asia.
14th April 2008

A life down under now!
Hi Soph, another excellent chapter, thanks, look forward to reading the book, expect your Dad is envious of the Po Bho's. Saw your Ma and Pa yesterday, had a great evening and caught up on all your gos. Must teach you how to catch an egg sometime. Enjoy Oz
15th April 2008

soph all it seems that uve done on ur trip is shopping and drinking champagne lol! its alright for some eh! ;) xxx

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb