Oct 13th- Nov 3rd


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane » Fortitude Valley
October 13th 2008
Published: November 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Had a fantastic day at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary- loved feeding the Kangaroos- and avoiding the scary Emus. Had my photo taken with Ryan the koala- how cute!

Oct 16th

Picked up hire car and drove north to Noosa- visited the Glass House Mountains on the way. Nice apartment - very near beach.

Oct 17th
Walked along the coast- looked for Koalas but they were all hiding! Went to the beach and christened our very cheap boogie board!Good surf!

Oct 18th
Left Noosa and drove to Mt Tibrogargan went up it as far as we could then realised the signs that said 'experienced climbers only' meant exactly that!!
Had a bit of trouble getting somewhere to stay in the evening- went inland and ended up somewhere called Canungra-stayed ina B and B- run by Ray who was very fastidious and kept pronouncing yes as follows 'YAAAAAYYYYYIIIIS'- saw a brush tailed possum - enormous much bigger than a cat!

Oct 19th
Did a walk in Spring brook National Park- got cabin in caravan park near Mt Warning - only discovered it was BYO linen when pulled back the bed cover- doh!Still there's nothing like sleeping in your clothes - it's just like sleeping in sheets!

Oct 20th
Climbed Mt Warning - 1100m but you don't start right at the bottom- took 2hrs up and 1hr 40 down! exhausting- you had to pull yourself up with chains for the last 20 mins! Glad when I was in cafe having a cake afterwards!

Oct 21st
Drove to Nimbin which is weird sor of hippy place- not mcuh there really. Continued to Byron Bay where we stayed in a cabin at a holiday park. Went to Belongil Beach and had fish and chips in evening. it chucked it down later that evening.

Ost 22nd
Walked up to the lighthouse and around- saw dolphins jumping alongside surfers- amazing sight. Had a short surf - went very cloudy qiuckly and then we got caught in a hailstorm. Luckliy we used the surfboard to protect ourselves as some hailstones were the size of golf balls!!!

Oct 23rd
Drove to Evans Head stopping a tLennox Head on the way which was really nice. I saw a dolphin in the evening when I went for a jog! Got chatting to some locals in the pub in the evening- we got invited to a wedding!

Oct 24th
Went to the beach - it was pretty rough- tried out the new surfboard! Saw more dolphins in the evening just at the river mouth.

Oct 25th
Did some surfing again- still quite rough. Drove up to the Razorback lookout in the afternoon to look for whales. Saw some in the distance when we were on the headland. Went to Chinaman's beach and saaw some Yellow-tailed black parrots- they were huge.

Oct 26th
Drove to MacLean, a scottish town which has tartan painted telegraph poles with a diffrent scottish surname on each one- I found one with Mckay on it! Continued on to Wooli- Mike went in sea but it felt too cold for me. Drove to Mylestom and stayed in cabin. Very small place but fine for 1 night.

Oct 27th
Drove to Anna Bay - took quite a while- srtayed in really posh cabin for quite cheap, only 5 mins walk from 1 mile beach. Saw a Koala in a tree near where we were staying.

Oct 28th
Walked up to the top of Tomare Headland - great views all around! Did some really good surfing in the afternoon- not too rough.

Oct 29th
Drove to the Hunter Valley - stopped at Cessnoch on the way which reminded us of Stocksbridge!
Glad we had stocked up on food as our bungalow was in the middle of nowhere- very nice though.

Oct 30th
Did some wine tasting and had a cream tea- beautiful day with lovely scenic views.

Oct 31st
Drove to Blue Mts via Terrigal- had our picture taken there for the local newspaper! Tried to have a surf but waves were poor. Arrived in katoomba - very average room.

Nov 1st

Walked to Leura via the forest- about 1000 steps down and then up! Took about 4 hours. We met a couple from Rotherham on the way down. Quite misty- so views a bit limited.

Nov 2nd

Walked to Leura again but along the cilff this time- very chilly and still misty. Found a really English tea rooms and then later that evening when phoning my parents found that they had been to the same tea rooms!! Had to have the heating on in the room!

Nov 3rd

Drove to Sydney- flat really nice and near central station. Dropped car off and then walked to harbour via botanical gardens- amazing to finally see the opera house in the flesh, so to speak






Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb