Ausralia Zoo and last night in Brisbane


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Australia Zoo
October 25th 2006
Published: October 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

CRIKEY! Rest In Peace Steve Irwin! What a place the Zoo was, with 70 acres of land to walk around and over 1000 animals , you could easily spend two days there. It was great but also a sad and touching day. Just over a month since his death, the cards, flowers and vast amounts of signed shirts remain at the zoo. There is also a sense of grief amongst the 450 staff who are still mourning. There is pictures of Steve all over the zoo, that still remain from before he passed away and will remain. Its a remarkable place and the best zoo ever! You have hands on expereince with so many animals, not like other zoos where you just observe from afar or through a window. You can even meet tigers on special viewings before the park opens, very much like what we did with the dolphins. Amanda nearly cried when she realised you had to pre book days before and pay extra for that option.

Amanda was told by a Informaion Centre that you cannot cubble a koala as they are dangerous...well not at Australia zoo, you can cuddle them all you want, so she did! Steve was too scared as they can claw, so he just stroked it..and so soft!

Amanda also fed an elephant...see pic, along with stroking kangaroos that roam freely, they loved to be tickled and stoked all day long, we spent ages with them.

Then there was the croc show at 11.30 in the Crocoseum, This was where Steve Irwin did all his shows and filmings, and it seats a whopping 5000 people. It was suberb but dangerous for the people doing it, but a recommended must see! See the pics, there was also a bird and snake show which was great too.

Also wanna say thanks to Kira, Gary,Adam and Jamie for letting us stay! We had such a great time!
We also saw Dingos and Wombats, see the wombat pics, they are gorgeous too. The venomous snakes were interesting, Oz has something like 140 types of the world snakes and at the zoo they have a snake thats venom could kill 100 full grown men with one dose! See the green python that steve took, fantastic, Amanda wanted to touch a snake but we missed the times for it! Steve wouldnt have gone near.

There was also huge tortoises and we saw tigers in the new tiger temple and camels, what a day, you have to experience the zoo to believe what Steve and Terri have achieved, Terri now intends to expand it to over 100 acres and to improve conservation and the killing of endangered animals.

Also this was our last night with our friends, so we had a quiet meal and rinks at the pub..girls had free pink champayne...yum!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



25th October 2006

Batty
It didnt look like you really wanted to stroke that Kangaroo..... Sounds alot better then Whipsnade! Glad your both still doing well. I would have thought you would have heard by now but what good news about Curlow and his new little baby girl!!! Shame you wont be back to wet its head. Oh well, i shall have to drink for you as well!! Keep blogging and i shall speak to you soon. call if you can.

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0809s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb