Cairns to Brisbane: Part 4 - Noosa Heads/Oz Zoo


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Australia Zoo
October 26th 2008
Published: October 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Now at noosa, one stop from the end of our oz tour. the bus ride was uneventful, and we reached Noosa Heads, I spotted a leaflet before we left ‘the palace’ for a hostel here so we managed to book ahead, just aswell really because when we arrived it was rammed!
We stayed at the YHA hostel, an historic lodge - pretty nice with home cooked food - happy days! After settling into our room - we had a twin room, peace and quiet - we took a wee walk around town, taking in the sights of thye beach, nice place, but the sjhops were a bit posh - the people were rather smarmy - posh gits! We did hear before arriving that Noosa is a place where rich people retire to, not too many OAPs but plenty of snooty so and so’s! the first evening we enjoyed soon good old home cooked tucka’- tandori chicken, very tasty!
The following day after a hearty breakfast we were picked up from the bus stop at 10.30am, we were headed to the world famous Australian Zoo - for those of you that don’t know - it’s the late Steve Irwin’s zoo, and for those of you who don’t know who Steve Irwin is never mind! The bus ride took about an hour, during which a commemorative dvd of Steve was put on, yoli shed a few tears, it was quite emotional.
As we had pre paid for our tickets the day before we headed straight into the park - no queing, no messin! Mum would’ve been proud! On route the bus driver had mentioned a few interactive activities that are available at the park, one of which was taking a tiger for a walk - wow! We thought this has got to be done, so as we headed straight for the booking desk. To our dismay the tiger experience had to be pre-booked - rubbish! And it was fully booked until January 2009!! We booked a lemar experience instead, you get to feed them etc etc.
Whilst waiting for our lemar experience we had our photo taken with a viscous Koala, it was nice and cuddly really! After that we took a walk around - feeding time for the elephants - brilliant! Holding a piece of fruit in our hands the elephant ever so gently picked it out with it’s trunk and ate it, we couldn’t believe how gentle it was!
Before jumping aboard the golf cart to the lemars we donned our - rather attractive - rain jackets. I said to yoli ‘we better take thm just in case’ as every time we had needed then previously we’d left them behind! As we sat on the cart the heavens opened - look whos laughing now I thought looking at the member of staff who said - whilst sporting a t-shirt - “nice jackets” - unlucky!!
The lemars were really shy and sudden movements scared them off so we had to be really slow and gentle with them, the now rather wet member of staff took our photos, which came out really well - and they weren’t ridiculously over priced - surprisingly!
After the lemar experience we headed back - the rain had calmed down slightly, but not for long! We didn’t mind though! We headed inside where you can have your photo taken with a snake, not any old snake though - this was one massive python, must have been 6ft+ with some serious girth!! As we approached the front of the que yoli began to get a tad anxious, but we had the photo taken - quality!
After the traumatic snake experience we had a bite to eat, plenty of choice - and tasty! With full bellies we headed to the elephant and tiger enclosures. The tigers were amazing, the keepers were playing with them like they were just dogs, unbelievable!
Once the crazy people had stopped playing with the tigers we headed back to the ‘crocoseum’ where a show was about to begin. It wasn’t too busy as the weather was still slightly pants! Before the crocs came out there was a bird show, one section which required members of the audience to participate, we managed to get yoil involved! The idea was that the birds are set free and the audience members do a calling to attract them - only the birds just flew off, leaving yoli and a select few crowing, swinging their hips too and frow - hilarious!
Once yoli had been slightly embarressed the croc came out. pretty amazing how they can coax him from his pen through a series of small canels into the crocoseum, appareently people around the world told Steve Irwin this "could not be done"! (it was on the dvd!). The croc was quite amazin sliding in and out of the water chasing the keepers - rather them than me!
By the end of the show it was almost time to catch our return bus so we headed out, stopping at the shop on the way, as you do! Thankfully we came away shopping bag free - unlike others on the bus!
We returned to the YHA for a tastey home cooked dinner - it was needed!
The following day we took the bus to Brisbane, our final stop on the along the East Coast and Australia.....


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb