Atherton Tablelands


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Atherton Tablelands » Yungaburra
August 18th 2010
Published: February 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Before we went on our Great Barrier Reef Dive trip, we left the city Cairns behind us for a couple of days and took the new wheels/home for a spin in the country and headed to Atherton Tablelands. Also Known as the 'Cairns Highlands' it's in the tropics and part of the Great Dividing Range.

We'd read and heard that the scenery was stunning and there was plenty to see and the Tablelands do have a lot to offer but it had been built up a bit much. It was misty, dull and rained pretty much the whole time and having spent the previous few weeks being incredibly spoiled with natural wonders at Lamington and Kakadu National Parks and at Uluru, Kings Canyon and Kata Tjuta, through the mist and rain it didn't really live up to the hype.

However, the drive was fab, it was great to see yet another completely different landscape in Australia, we stayed at a great campsite on a remote hillside and got to explore some small towns before heading back to Cairns.

To add to that we stumbled across a classic car gathering at Lake Barrine. We chatted to one extremely proud owner of a mint condition 1950s Ford Falcon (I say we, Xan had an indepth conversation while I commented on the colour)!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Long Distance Paaaaala...Long Distance Paaaaala...
Long Distance Paaaaala...

Pigeon Street anyone?
SlimySlimy
Slimy

Mount Hypipamee Crater - caused by a gas explosion!


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb