Agnes Waters & Town Of 1770


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Agnes Water
June 17th 2012
Published: June 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Wow, we really loved Agnes Water! It’s an idyllic part of the world where time seems to stand still. It’s right on the coast, with only one road leading in and out of town. Driving the two hours from Bundaberg felt like an eternity, as we hadn’t travelled for longer than one hour at a time for ages! I loved the laid-back feel of the place and Dean loved the beach. Sadly it’s Queensland’s most northerly surf beach (there will be no fun in the ocean further north because of the crocs!) so we grabbed the surf board and made the most of it. For our second night, we found an awesome caravan park with a great setup and direct beach access. We felt a bit miffed that we had stayed at the other shabby caravan park the previous night, however it had given us the opportunity to go on a hike through the forest to what I now call ‘the wild beach’ where we had fun being thrashed around by the waves. In hindsight it probably wasn’t particularly wise getting into those waves, but it was a cool experience and we’re still alive :-) Back in gentler waters, we both had a lot of fun giving the surf board a workout (I still haven’t managed to stand up, argh) and relished the swimming/snorkeling in the ocean.



We also visited Town Of 1770 which had its name changed from Round Hill in 1936 in honour of James Cook’s landing here on 24 May 1770. It was actually his second landing in Australia, but the first in what is now Queensland. Town Of 1770 is even more laid back than Agnes Water (the locals would need to drive the 5km to Agnes Water to do their groceries etc) and is a nice little fishing hub. We enjoyed our walk down to the beach followed by a walk up the hill to admire the stunning views.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.1115s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb