QLD Road Trip - Day 4 & 5


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Agnes Water
March 28th 2010
Published: April 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

BreakfastBreakfastBreakfast

Breakfast with the wallabies...
Day 4: Bowling Green Bay National Park to Blacks Beach (MacKay) via Airlie Beach

An early morning breakfast allowed us a chance to view some of the wallabies that were also out looking for breakfast... they weren’t too interested in corn flakes though!

We had previously decided that our first few days would be spent seeing as much as possible between Cairns and Townsville, as there is plenty to see and do. However this meant that the next few days would be mostly about getting some kilometres under our belt as we still had a long way to go. Luckily there are some remote stretches of highway with nothing to see anyway (or petrol stations, a few kilometres were covered without the air-con to conserve fuel whilst the needle hovered above the red)!!

After a few hours of serious driving, we arrived in Airlie Beach for a lunch stop. Airlie Beach, like Cairns, doesn’t have a beach in the town but there is an excellent lagoon. We sparked up a BBQ and enjoyed a few hours of sun and relaxation before hitting the road again. We also saw the devastation the cyclone had caused as it hit this
Giant MangoGiant MangoGiant Mango

Australia has many giant food or animal items... just one more!
area. Many trees were up-rooted or severely damaged and houses were missing roofs, things seemed to be getting back to normal but it looked like it might take some time to fully recover.

We arrived at our camp for the night, Blacks Beach in MacKay, when the sun had already gone down. We quickly setup camp and started cooking a seafood feast (Morton Bay bugs and prawns) that we purchased from a market on the side of the road. No sooner had we started dinner than a massive storm hit and we sheltered under the back door of the van while it passed. Luckily the food was unaffected and we washed our seafood down with a glass of white. We had an early night as tomorrow was our designated driving day....

Day 5: Blacks Beach to Agnes Water

We woke at 6am and hit the road for a long day of driving. We needed to cover some serious kilometres so we could enjoy our last couple of days with minimal driving. Eight hours later we pulled into Agnes Water and hit the beach to relax. Some nice waves allowed more bodysurfing, Nat getting better by the day.
Airlie BeachAirlie BeachAirlie Beach

Dan getting the BBQ started...


Later that night we indulged in fish and chips and a few beers on our campsite next to the beach. It would be another early start tomorrow in order to find a remote campsite for our last night.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Chef DanChef Dan
Chef Dan

Preparing the Morton Bay Bugs during a massive storm...
Seafood DinnerSeafood Dinner
Seafood Dinner

Bugs and prawns... camping in style!!
Storm BrewingStorm Brewing
Storm Brewing

Just another storm in QLD... it actually rained everyday we were there!!
ParrotsParrots
Parrots

Maybe?


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb