Two Days Stopover in Agnes Water and 1770


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Agnes Water
February 9th 2007
Published: February 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The BeastThe BeastThe Beast

The campervan stopped at a petrol station... not by choice- this was the third of quite a few break downs
The campervan of desire picks us up at 9 in the moring and we head south. Possibly the worst vehicle I have ever been in... with 280,000 miles on the clock, nothing worked... not even the windscreen wipers but at least it moved. We were off, finally out of Airlie Beach after a poor few days. The rain was still coming so we all hoped the sky would clear up further south (it had gotten depressing hearing that it was 34 degrees in Brisbane while we were dripping wet).
The journey took longer than expected, possibly due to the fact that everytime the van stopped we had to wait 30 mins for it to cool down so we could start it again. It is all part of the fun though and after an 8 hour journey we finally made it to '1770' a small area just outside of Agnes water and pulled into the campsite that we had booked and surprisingly it was still raining. We couldn't be bothered finding our pitch in the dark so we just pulled into the first free one. We set up the two man tent and then the three lads got inside. Bad move...
We
Bird TamingBird TamingBird Taming

Tim entices a Kookaburra with a bit of bread... it took it and then just sat there with it in its mouth until it dropped it. I think it was a bit head mental
had only silk sleeping bag liners between us and the ground and it got hot very quickly. None of us got any sleep and when eventually we got up at 7 we had barely slept at all and I badly needed a chiropractor. We were woken at 7 by the kookaburras, parrots and bush turkeys around the campsite... the kookaburras were tame and you could touch them. We drove up the road to Agnes water because it's good for surfing. Tom and his girlfriend went out while we spent the day on the beach getting our first sun for 14 days! I have had a cold for the last week as well and so didn't try surfing although further down the coast I will be doing. We had only planned this stop off to be one night and so around 4pm we set off south again. We squeezed in an unexpected stop off in Bundaberg, a place famous for making rum and sugar... this stop off only really happened because the van broke down on a roundabout so we all had to get out and push!
At the last minute we planned a stop in Hervey Bay, a coastal town
Taking Down CampTaking Down CampTaking Down Camp

I thought I'd let the experts take down the tent while I gave some advice and watched
a few hours south to do a trip to Fraser Island.... hopefully a sunny spot... we'll see!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Agnes WaterAgnes Water
Agnes Water

The surf is good at Agnes Water apparently, there were some good crests and a lot of surf drift whatever the hell that means- looked good though
Bundaberg- not by choiceBundaberg- not by choice
Bundaberg- not by choice

The biggest breakdown involving a push round a roundabout left us stranded in the middle of nowhere for a good hour and a half


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb