Kakadu National Park


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory
July 26th 2008
Published: August 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
KakaduKakaduKakadu

The Entrance to Kakadu National Park
Following our late night flight and a couple of hours sleep we picked up our backpacker campervan which we would have for six days to travel around Kakadu & Litchfield national parks.
We underestimated the size of Kakadu and on our first day found out that it is approx. 20,000km2 and we would only be seeing a small percentage of this. With temperatures averaging at 30C, our first main stop was Ubirr which has ancient aboriginal rock art and a lookout which gave us a glimpse of the sheer vastness of Kakadu.
Stephen witnessed his first live wild kangaroos as opposed to the usual roadkilll or friendly park 'roos! Another main spot that we spent some time was Cooinda where we took a Yellow Water cruise and managed to get plenty of sightings of different wildlife - lots of types of birds especially and salties swimming next to the boat.
One of the tourist parks we enjoyed most was Douglas Daly tourist park as it has a lovely riverside walking track with lots of plunge pools to swim in. Along the river we came across lots of warning signs that saltwater crocodiles may inhabit the waters - we really didnt want to take our chances even though it was really hot. When we came to the last plunge pool a few people were taking a dip to cool down so we figured it was safe enough to get in too!
Useless info:
Mosquito coils do not work! We found this out by surrounding us with a whole packet even though only one is needed. We still have very itchy bites all over.
It is safe to swim in the presence of freshwater crocs but not the salties. Although we would not risk it anyway..just in case!



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Aboriginal ArtAboriginal Art
Aboriginal Art

Ubirr Rock
Ubirr Rock LookoutUbirr Rock Lookout
Ubirr Rock Lookout

The views from up here were amazing
WetlandsWetlands
Wetlands

Information about the birds
SwimmingSwimming
Swimming

Will we go for a swim??
Yellow riverYellow river
Yellow river

Who's hiding on the banks of the river??
Croc!!Croc!!
Croc!!

Biggest Crocodile I've ever seen!
CampervanCampervan
Campervan

Our campervan for the week
Daly regionDaly region
Daly region

Dry season
The archesThe arches
The arches

at Daly's tourist park
Plunge poolPlunge pool
Plunge pool

Daly Region, it was lovely and refreshing swimming here


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb