Australian Adventure


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Uluru
June 26th 2014
Published: June 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Hi travel followers.

I thought it was about time I updated our travel blog on our adventures.

From Woomera we moved on to Coober Pedy (375kms) as there was basically nothing in between. When I say nothing, I mean only open, flat roads with no towns, no properties, no cattle or sheep and no wild life including kangaroos or Emu's etc. The scenery was fantastic, but that was about it.

We decided to set up camp at Coober Pedy for 5 nights as there was quite a bit to see and do and a few things I wanted to cross off the "Bucket List" like visiting the opal fields and going down a working Opal mine, visiting the Coober Pedy Golf Course (reciprical rights with St Andrews in Scotland) visiting the Breakaways and the "moon plains", the dog fence (at 5300kms long it is the longest man made structure in the world) and doing the Mail Run visiting working cattle stations including Anna Creek Station which at "24,000 square kilometres" is the largest single property in the world and also visiting the towns of William Creek and the famous Oodnadatta "pink" roadhouse. We also visited an old style dugout home and the fully underground Serbian church. Absolutely beautiful.

We also got to experience one of the outback's infamous "dust storms" cough, cough, sneeze. Still spitting and cleaning out dust from the van and car etc.

We then decided to start heading for Ayres Rock/uluru with overnight stops at Marla (great little place and park behind the roadhouse) and Erldunda (fuel was $2.20/litre) which is at the turn off between Alice Springs and Uluru. Trips are done at this stage at roughly 250 to 300kms stints as again there is nothing in between, but I must say the roads are excellent. I just dial the Landcruiser into 100kms/hr and 250kms and roughly 2.5hrs later we arrive at our next destination.

We have now just arrived and set up camp at the Yulara Desert Resort Caravan Park and begun exploring and working out what tours and walks we want to take so I will leave this blog at this point and update what we have done on the next one.

Hope you enjoy the updates and photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb