Kings Canyon & Ayers Rock


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Uluru
February 18th 2009
Published: February 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After leaving Perth region, we flew to the desert. We hired a car at Ayrs Rock and (Jon) drove to the Kings Canyon, which was about 4 hours away. We stayed in a prison cell type of room in the 'resort' (at least we didn't have to camp in a tent, as it was boiling). We were right next to the kitchen and it was pretty irritating because, despite massive notices everywhere, people just keep leaving the doors open to the kitchen, and the toilet block, and the dingos would come in, streaking all the rubbish on the floor next to our room. I got over it, eventually, but when I saw one girl leave the gate open, I did tell her off (I am becoming like my dad).

Althought the accommodation for that night was a bit grim, the actvities the next day more than made up for it. The next morning, we got up in the dark, and went to the canyon at about 5am. We trekked the rim of it (watching sunrise from the top), going up and down in between the gorges. It was really beautiful. It took about 3.5 hours, and the whole trek was awe-inspiring. It was also interesting to learn about how the canyon was formed (not by a glacier like Grand Canyon).

After that, we (Jon) drove to Ayrs Rock resort. We had a nice hotel room this time in the resort (which was very tastefully built. All enviro-friendly in accordance with national park stipulations).

We got up early both mornings, and visited The Olgas (Kata Tjuta) and Ayers Rock (Uluru), and walked/trekked round both. We were both really amazed at how big the Uluru rock actually is. It took 3 hours to walk round (on the flat!!). I was struggling that day, but it was the fourth day of getting up at dawn to hike/trek, and it was 40ยบ. I was flabbergasted at how many people still climb the rock, even though it is highly insulting to aboriginal people, and this is clearly communicated to all tourists.

I really liked the Olgas, but the flies were very bad. I used a head net, but Jon stubbornly refused to adorn such gear. After a nightmarish trek though, where he was constantly waving hundreds of flies off his eyes, ears, mouth - he caved in, and bought a head net for the sunset walk. I took a photo at one point of all the flies on him. Proper gross.

Came to Sydney today, and booked to climb the Harbour Bridge tomorrow. Am a bit nervous....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0843s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb