Uluru - Day 30 & 31


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Uluru
April 6th 2007
Published: April 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We took off early from Melbourne and flew to Uluru (aka - Ayers Rock). The flight was about 3 hours and it took us from a nice temperate cosmopolitan city to a deserted red landscape in the middle of the country. The outback is known to the Aussies as the "Red Center". We deplaned and picked up our rental car for the next three days, and headed for our campsite at the Yalara Resort. Once we set up camp we took off for Kata Tjuta (aka - the Olgas), a lesser known however equally impressive large red group of rocks jutting from the ground about 25 miles from Uluru. We trekked along the Valley of the Winds trail and saw a few Kangaroos and a pretty big Goanna (huge monitor lizard). Just a tip if you ever deicde to make the journey to the red center - bring one of the silly looking hats with the bug nets attached - the flys will drive you crazy! We watched the sunset over the Olgas and retired early so we could catch the sunrise.

Everyone gets up early at Uluru. We drove ourselves out to the sunrise viewing site on the east side of Uluru and settled in with the other 200 people who where there for the same attraction - spring break crouds. It was fantastic! We could have been the only ones there.

Once the sun was up we headed over to the cultural center to learn about the area. We learned about the flora and fauna, and all the deadly snakes. Ahhh! We also learned about the Aboriginal people. Out of respect most people don't climb the rock or take photographs of certain sacred sites marked along the trail. We spent the rest of the day hiking around the base of Uluru. It was great! It looks like one big rock from far away, but it is really contoured up close, oh yeah and did we mention the flys...

On our final night we splurged on some traditional Aussie fare and hit the "barbie". It was our first experience eating kangaroo, crocodile, and emu. Nothing a nice frosty jug of beer can't wash down...

Advertisement



19th April 2007

KANGAROOS FIGHT BACK
SO BE CAREFUL HOW YOU TREAT THEM

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0677s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb