Nitmiluk Gorge & The Ghan (continued)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Katherine
September 10th 2014
Published: September 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

In no time at all, we arrived at Katherine, one of the hottest places in Australia. Today it was a balmy 37 C. Our excursion was a cruise down the Katherine River through the Nitmiluk Gorge. In the boat we were surrounded by towering red sandstone rocks. Occasionally, we glimpsed a crocodile laying in the water, or its distinctive tracks on a sandy bar. Our guide told us these tracks often led to where a crocodile had laid its eggs – these are protected and there is a fine for violating these sites.



There are only two seasons here – the wet season and the dry season. This impacts the entire ecosystem including the height of the river. Early in the wet season, the boat is able to traverse the entire length of the river, but as it becomes drier, it must stop half way, and travellers have to walk a short distance to a second boat. This, of course, was the dry season, so we walked. About half way to the second boat, there were natural swimming holes with swimmers enjoying some relief from the sun. (I think they should add swimming in these pools to this excursion.) There were also drawings on the cliff left by the aboriginal peoples over 20,000 years ago.



David photographed a tree full of fruit bats - "Flying Foxes". He also photographed a bird, a Tawny Frogmouth, that I thought looked like, Sam Eagle, one of the Muppet Characters. Australia has the most interesting creatures!



We completed our trip and returned to the train where we were ushered quickly on and sent to the dining car for another fabulous meal. Night fell and soon we were sleeping in our cozy beds as the train sped through the desert.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



17th September 2014

My favourite place in the world.
I love Katherine Gorge and your photos bring back great memories, except someone stole Alan's runners out of the backpackers there! The water is beautiful to swim inand I wished you could have done that too but it sounds like you are having a fantastic time. Enjoy Alice Springs and I hope you get to stop at Coober Pedi on the way down the country!
20th September 2014

Special Place
Hi Katie, It's so cool you were here too! It was just lovely. I envy you having swam in the pools, it would have been great as it was very hot! Unfortunately, we were not able to stop at Coober Pedi. Take care, Michele
18th September 2014

The train
Sounds like the train to Churchill minus the frozen water lines (no working toilets!), the luke warm microwaved dinners and the snails'pass speed so the trial doesn't derail!
19th September 2014

The train
Yes, I guess they don't have "peasant class" on the Ghan.

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb