First week in Ngukurr


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Katherine
August 24th 2014
Published: August 24th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Well, I have been in Ngukurr for 8 days so far...what an amazing place! Early last week we found a green tree frog in our toilet. I tried to coax it out but it climbed up under the rim. One of the students gave me excellent instructions on how to get it out with a stick, but thankfully he came out at his own accord a few days later.

The Ngukurr Community School is just lovely, and filled with enthusiastic teachers. The school day operates differently to any I've experienced. Students have breakfast directly from the school canteen first thing in the morning (before 8:00am), and then have either assembly (lower Primary years) or play sport (upper Primary/ lower Secondary), so every morning we meet the children at the basketball court and then head into class for the first core learning session.

There are two recesses where students play outside, and each is followed by eating a meal (one hot and one cold with a piece of fruit) in the classrooms. The boys are really into their sport, and love basketball and footy. I am amazed at their level of skill in the playground, and there is always a teacher umpiring the recess footy games...these kids take it pretty seriously, and just love it. Class is dismissed at 2.10pm - it is usually pretty warm outside by this time, however the teachers stay to clean up and prepare for the next day. In the air-conditioned classrooms of course.

The community has a pool for after school swimming activities and a terrific horse riding program - which I will get to experience with a few of our students tomorrow. It's no secret that I am looking forward to that, although I was lucky enough to score a ride on the weekend with Gareth, Henry and Harriet. Lots of fun!

The Ngukurr store is very well stocked, and will keep us well supplied throughout the placement. It's only a short walk from our house, but then again most things are only a short walk from our house...we just might have to dodge a few cheeky dogs!

Until next time xxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb