Back at Katherine


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Katherine
August 6th 2009
Published: August 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Our water heater was repaired and back in the motor home, and we had a couple of days doing a bit of sightseeing, but mostly were were lazy under the awning or in the pool with Barbara and Jim.

Today we said our goodbyes and once more headed south towards Katherine. About 100 kilometres south of Darwin, we turned off to the Litchfield National Park. We tossed up whether to have a night there at Batchelor, but decided we'd just go and have a quick look at the scenery and keep driving to Katherine. We'd swum in the waterholes and had a look at the waterfalls on our last trip up here.

First we had another look at the magnetic ant hills where the ants build their high mounds in an east-west direction and move inside during the day to make the most of the heat and the cool. Our next stop was at Buleys waterholes where beautiful clear water tumbles down a series of waterholes to a deeper couple of holes. There were people swimming in each waterhole and sitting on rocks amongst the waterfalls. I remember when I swam in the biggest hole, I couldn't touch the bottom and the rocks were slippery making it hard to climb out, but it is a beautiful spot and the water very refreshing.

We drove a further couple of kilometres to the lookout over Florence Falls. There are many steps down to the falls and we could see people having a lovely time under the waterfalls and in the deep hole. Really a lovely spot.

We were surprised when we got to Katherine as it was much quieter and there weren't the crowd of caravans in the street as were there just a couple of weeks ago. We went once more to the Low Level Caravan Park where we have now set up. It's time to sit under the awning under the trees - gin o'clock.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The magnetic anthillsThe magnetic anthills
The magnetic anthills

Looking like gravestones


Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0717s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb