Kakadu visited


Advertisement
Published: September 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Rock StackRock StackRock Stack

Better than any Big Mac! Kakadu National Park
One of the odd things about visiting Kakadu National Park is the division amongst travellers as to whether to visit or not. We had both very positive and very negative advice, but are pleased that we went anyway.

Probably the wrong time of year, right at the end of the dry season, but still plenty to see. Just at the end of the wet season, there is more drama and activity in the gorges and waterfalls, and water fowl and lilies to enhance the experience. However, we saw plenty of action, and would visit again with a 4WD vehicle to access the more remote parts of the park.

We visited Fogg Dam before entering the National Park. Signs warned of a rogue salty, thus closing the walking paths. We could drive around the park and photograph from the vehicle, and saw the croc trap set for the straying monster.

There were a few lilies in flower, and a variety of wading birds as well as quite a variety of small seed eating and bug catching birds as well. Several times we saw a flash of colour dash across the water as the Pita Birds made their low level
Truck crossing East Alligator RiverTruck crossing East Alligator RiverTruck crossing East Alligator River

About 400mls of water on the crossing
raids to catch bugs. Some kingfishers too, but not the brightly coloured azure kingfisher, though they are found in the area as well.

There is an informative centre just a few kilometres down the road which focuses on the wetlands and provides lots of information about the area. A good education spot.

There is now an entry fee of $25.00 per person entering Kakadu National Park unless you are a NT resident who get in for free. With such an extensive park, and the pass lasting 2 weeks, it is not hard to see why the fees are at that level. We stayed in the Kakadu Lodge Caravan Park and enjoyed a presentation by one of the rangers on what happens behind the scenes to keep the public safe in this tropical wetlands. Some of the rescue pictures of motorists trapped in or on vehicles in croc infested waters are beyond belief. But in our short stay, we saw the same mistakes made yet again.

Having wrestled crocs, we wanted to be brave and see real live crocs in their natural habitat, the East Alligator River. This river (flows all year) forms the border between Kakadu National Park and the Aboriginal Reserve, Arnhem Land. Once there were wars between black and white people in this area, now the battle is with large hungry crocs. The access to Arnhem Land is via Cahill Crossing which is submerged by about 400 to 500mm at high tide, dry at low tide, and well buried during floods. The crossing is used by people and crocs alike.

As the tide recedes, crocs hang around the crossing because they catch barramundi (big yummy fish) as they straggle across the crossing - an easy meal. Now some people like to catch the same barramundi, and stand in the croc infested water. Dumb!!! And, yes we saw a couple (waiting for the water to recede) standing at the waters edge watching the fish, and not seeming to care about the two boggle eyes watching them.

Some drivers are a little careless at this crossing also, rushing too quick into the flowing water. None got in strife on our visit, but one came close to running into a croc crossing the road. How big a croc? virtually stretched from side to side of the one lane road.

Kakadu National Park is also famous for the quantity and quality of aboriginal rock art. Not that easy to photograph as some is very old and weathered. However, there are many well preserved and clear works which are well explained on the accompanying sign boards. Clearly the pictures were used as a teaching aid for both cultural law and spiritual law/history. Most of the works are accessible to the public, but only a few for wheel chair access.

Scrambling around the rocks for the art is fun and also takes one to a variety of lookouts across the wetlands, river gorges etc. The rock formations are rather intriguing, and at the same time loaded with stories from Aboriginal Dreamtime. Many people make use of the free ranger talks at the various sites. All well sign posted so you know when the talks are on.

Initially the camp ground was nice and quiet with guests well spaced out. However, two or three bus loads of tourists descended with their tents and what have you. Most were year 11 students from Victoria on a school holiday excursion. Well behaved and quiet after 9.30, but the noise from the girls in the showers sent us off around the park to a quieter block!


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Pelicans by the hundredsPelicans by the hundreds
Pelicans by the hundreds

Adjacent to Fogg Dam
Long Necked TurtleLong Necked Turtle
Long Necked Turtle

A number of food sources made up quite a large work. Not all painted at the same time, so often there is a layering of images.
Croc backing across the roadCroc backing across the road
Croc backing across the road

East Alligator River
Peaceful WatersPeaceful Waters
Peaceful Waters

but packed full of crocs. For each croc you see, eight more are unseen, surfacing only hourly.
Rock caveRock cave
Rock cave

A shelter used by aboriginals when hunting in the area.


27th September 2013

Great Photos
Hi Rob You certainly take some great photos enjoy reading your blog Regards Brian
27th September 2013

Great blog
Interesting place to visit
27th September 2013

Another good effort
Enjoyed the photos and comment again.
28th September 2013
Lessons in behaviour

Lessons in behaviour
Exquisite
28th September 2013
4WD rushes in almost hitting the croc

Follow that Road
What an adventure
28th September 2013
4WD rushes in almost hitting the croc

Croc infested water
Exciting to be close enough to se the action, far enough away for safety.
30th September 2013

Kakadu
am glad you were not like that young couple waiting to be eaten!!---

Tot: 0.42s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 28; qc: 173; dbt: 0.3343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb