Kakadu


Advertisement
Published: October 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

After stocking up on supplies in Katherine we continued into Kakadu, with enough time to set up camp before the Yellow Water sunset tour. A boat is the only way to really see the Kakadu swamps and billabongs and the guides know where to go. Yellow water is amazing, the extent of wildlife from natural to feral, the diversity of birdlife and the unique plants really have to be seen to get the feel of the place.

Almost immediately we started to see crocodiles, but we were expecting to see these. What probably impressed us most was the extensive areas of a variety of water lilies. We did not realise the classic Lotus lily grew naturally in Australia.

Our indigenous tour guide was very entertaining and informative, giving both white and indigenous perspectives on many aspects of the area.

The tour concluded with a text book Kakadu sunset. The photos tell the story.

The following morning we headed to Nourlangie, which featured a massive rock shelter (used for more than 20,000 years) and a number of spectacular rock art galleries. Free ranger talks at a number of these spots helped us to understand and appreciate the significance of what we were seeing.

Because we weren’t hot enough yet after the toasty rock art walk, we decided to hike the 2.5km around a nearby billabong. We were certainly hot by the time we finished! However we did get to see black cockatoos of both the red and yellow tailed varieties.

Later, after a swim to cool down we visited the cultural centre. This was one of the best exhibits of its kind that we have seen and helped to consolidate the information that we had been receiving.

Driving in the area we passed many massive termite mounds, and just had to stop for the obligatory photo.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0744s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb