Kakadu


Advertisement
Published: July 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

KakaduKakaduKakadu

Paintings at Nourlangie
Following on from Ubirr we went to Nourlangie Rock again to look at some aboriginal rock paintings similar to Ubirr but telling a different story. An interesting place with paintings dating back thousands of years.This place is wheel chair friendly to a point but some of the paintings are only accessible after climbing up some rocks.There is also a cavern in which Aboriginal people would take shelter during the stormy wet season.Again an inspirational place where you would be taken back in time.

We liked Ubirr and it's close proximity to so many natural attractions,one disappointment was that the road to Jim jim Jim Falls was closed not sure why.This road is strictly 4x4 for 2hrs followed by a 1hr hike over rocks to reach a spectacular waterfall and plunge pool,never mind there is always next time.

Before leaving our site we booked a sunset trip on the Yellow river and billabong and decided to stay at a camp site called Gagudju dreaming which is where all the cruises depart from, we could have stayed at a national park camp site some 10ks away but decided that because we would be driving back in the dark it would be safer to stay at Gagudju,big mistake.This is the most expensive park we have ever stayed at costing $46 per night,we were given a site opposite a tented school group and their chuck wagon,now don't get me wrong the Kids were well behaved but noisy.They left the next morning at dawn with the coach driver starting his engine at least 1/2 hr before they left,oh and did I say we were crammed in like sardines.

However the purpose of us being here was the sunset cruise on the yellow river, before that we spent some me time around the pool.Away from the camp ground the site boasts 2 swimming pools a bar and bistro very expensive, just as well we had some stocks.

The cruise was magnificent and lasted 2hrs,we were in a flat bottomed boat built for the job that had seats for at least 50 people all with a good view of the river and wetlands.Well we saw all sorts of wildlife,from buffalo in the distance across the wetlands to close up with a 4mt crock,an abundance of birds and of course the scenery.Our guide and captain was an aboriginal guy with a passion for Kakadu and
KakaduKakaduKakadu

A safe haven in the storm season
his culture, his local knowledge and history of the land was unbelievable together with his ability to spot wildlife.We finished the cruise with a photo opportunity of the sunset over Kakadu,the photos don't do the place justice but they are a reminder of why Kakadu is such a wonderful place

Next morning we head off intending to camp at Gunlom falls only to find the road was only open to 4x4 and high clearance camper trailers, caravans not allowed.So we motored on to Pine Creek, which is a quaint place with as always a history to tell including it's part in the gold rush and railway expansion in this part of the world,we will explore the railway museum tomorrow as well as taking in a gorge walk out of town.


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

KakaduKakadu
Kakadu

Not so wheel chair friendly
KakaduKakadu
Kakadu

The way in
KakaduKakadu
Kakadu

More wet lands
KakaduKakadu
Kakadu

The escarpment at Nourlangie
KakaduKakadu
Kakadu

WET LANDS
KakadUKakadU
KakadU

Wet lands


Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 13; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0972s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb