Kakadu


Advertisement
Published: June 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Well our last week in Darwin was as memorable as as all the others, we took a drive out to the Adelaide river and went to Robin falls, in the car park a sign points the way to the falls and indicates a 300mtr walk it did not indicate that it would take at least 15min scrambling over rocks but when you arrived at the fall it was worth it.

Down at the wharf we saw 2 Australian navy ships tied up and 2 customs boats as well,this is a busy place.

We also decided to stock up with supplies before heading into Kakadu. Darwin being a fishing port there is plenty of fresh fish on offer,there being 2 fishmongers on the fisherman's wharf we stocked up with fish and put them in the freezer we also sourced a wholesale butcher selling to the public at good prices. We also stocked up with alcohol, there is no carry out alcohol for sale in Kakadu.

We said goodbye to Darwin and the friends we had spent some time with and headed for Jabiru a small town in Kakadu some 256ks from Darwin.On our way we saw a buffalo in the distance across the meadows,the scenery is ever changing as we make our way into Kakadu,at one time we came across a small herd of wild horses on the edge of some scrub we thought one was going to charge at us but he changed his mind and turned back.

The caravan park is huge with 200 powered sites and any number of un- powered sites and boasts of never turning anyone away.On site is a swimming pool with a bar and bistro alongside.We settle in and decide to tour the town,not a lot to see here but people are friendly, a small shopping center,a sports club and a golf club seem to be he place people hang out.There is also another caravan park here as well as a hotel which when seen from the air is the shape of a crocodile.We had decided to treat our self's to a meal at the bistro just as we did some years ago when we visited this park with friends and stayed in a cabin.

Our first real day here in Jabiru and we decide to visit Ubirr an Aboriginal rock art site some 40ks away.This is a famous site and is well preserved and protected.Rangers give informative talks a preset times during the day.The site is well organised and signposted with wheelchair access to some of the paintings,some of which date back several thousands of years. Although there is one painting only going back as far as 1880, thought to be a painting of a white fella wearing a shirt,boots and with his hands in his pockets,probably an early buffalo hunter. The informative leaflet advises a hour to view the paintings,we took much longer. Also available at this site is the opportunity to climb to several lookouts and view the surrounding countryside which varies from vast wetlands to rock formations.

On our way back we took the opportunity to visit some national park camping sites,cheaper than commercial sites but with fewer amenities. We also visited a place called Gagudju which is where several cruises leave from to explore the Yellow Water billabong,there are several cruises to choose from stating at sunrise and the last one at sunset , we will decide this week how and when we will take a cruise.

A famous crossing into Arnhem land is a place called Cahills crossing which we also visited
Swimming pool on siteSwimming pool on siteSwimming pool on site

On the left is the bar and bistro
today,this is one of only a few crossings into Arnhem land


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 24


Advertisement
















Rock artRock art
Rock art

Rainbow serpent


Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0169s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb