Trip to Kakadu


Advertisement
Published: May 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We had a few days in the YHA in Darwin until we left for Kakadu. Mainly we lazed around the pool, wandered into town and went on a few nights out.

On May 5th we left for Kakadu National Park. When I was originally told about it, I was under the impression Crocodile Dundee was filmed around this area, but it wasn't mentioned on the trip so now I'm not sure!

We started off that morning with a jumping crocodile cruise. There are hundreds of crocodiles just lurking in the river, and they came right up to our boat (as in, they were a meter away from our open window!). The guy at the top of the boat dangles buffalo meat on a rope down to the crocs and they jump for it whilst everyone takes photos. Scary creatures, lol, but was good to see them so close up. Then we drove to Ubirr, which is an aboriginal site with lots of aboriginal art in the caves. Our guide Travis was excellent (though a bit boring when he rambled on too long!) and told us loads of stuff. He explained how you could date the paintings to when they were drawn using little clues about what was in them. He also told us about aboriginal clans and different families and skin-names. That night was yet another trek up yet another hill (lol) to see sunset. This trek was crazy though, as it was through tangly plants and spiky plants, and bushes!

The second day of the trip was mainly a waterfall and swimming day, and we stopped off numerous times to swim at different places. Travis decided to dive 9 metres off a rockface into the water, the crazy man!

Not much else to write here - Heather and Emily are looking for jobs. Rachel will be here on the 8th (yay!). We're moving to Cavenagh's soon for a change.

Advertisement



27th May 2008

Crocodile Dundee
Hi, parts of Crocodile Dundee were indeed filmed in Kakadu. Ubirr is featured in the movie and should be recognisable when you see the movie again! The film crew setup camp just south of the Jabiluka mining reserve on the way to Ubir. cheers.
29th May 2008

Many thanks - strange our tour guide did not mention it, particularly as we spent the day at Ubirr! Cheers

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb