Crusing with Crocodiles


Advertisement
Published: September 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

September 9 - Yellow Water Cruise– Some places defy description, but I’ll try. We left our lovely croc accommodation at 5:45 a.m. and drove to Gagudju Lodge Cooinda where we were bused to the river boats. Our guide, Murray, was a typical Aussie – laid back, with a dry sense of humor and a voice that I’d pay to lull me to sleep. His deep understanding of the area was gained when he moved to the area over 40 years ago and began working in the forestry service often with the aboriginal people.



Departing from the dock, we were met with an other-worldly scene as the rising sun lit up the mist and smoke from fires in the area, and the trees reflected off the glassy water.



Everywhere we looked there were birds – singing, squawking, sitting on the shore and in the trees, and sailing through the air! It was a bird-watcher’s paradise! We watched as a majestic Sea Eagle perched up high in the trees was harassed by a Whistling Kite (or as the aboriginal people call them, Bully Birds). Along the banks were scores of ducks, including Whistling and Freckled Ducks. It was surreal to be in a place with so many birds that I’ve only seen in books.



Some of the more memorable birds were the Rufus Night Herons, a nocturnal bird that just sits and stares at its own image; Pied Herons that reminds one of a perfect little waiter with a black coat and a lovely white feathered ruff; Jabarus, the quintessential Australia bird that is often depicted on Australian Aboriginal art; the brilliantly colored Azure Kingfisher; the regal Ibis that seem to pose for the cameras; and the Little Pied Cormorants looking for all the world like penguins sitting in the trees!



And, then we saw them – crocodiles! These ancient animals basked on the edges of the water or swam leisurely beside the boat. Our guide told us some of the males can grow up to 6 metres and weight one ton! I think I can cross an item off the “bucket list”.



We all went away from this cruise with a sense of awe - it was absolutely magical and will be remembered long after we have left Australia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



16th September 2014

Crocs
Just love all the pictures & notes. The eagle & the photographer look most regal.

Tot: 0.294s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 30; qc: 125; dbt: 0.1852s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb