Dubbo to Mildura


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Erldunda
June 20th 2008
Published: June 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We left Dubbo and headed towards West Wyalong for an overnight stay...on the way we passed through Forbes and needed our coffee fix which we found at the old Forbes movie theatre which was now a Cafe' along with a Chemist shop called WINSTANLEY PHARMACY so I dashed in to find the Winstanley's but the owner (Winstanley) was not in that day...so up the road I went and found a gorgeous gift shop...Forbes was a very pretty town.

A friend of mine came from West Wyalong and her Mum had a Hairdressing Shop, so I popped in for a new do...it was lovely! Dashed across the road for another coffee and found 'Thom Dick and Harry' Cafe...we had loved visiting a Cafe of the same name at Broken Hill and found out that this Cafe was the original one that Therese had set up...'Thom' coming from the name of the building as you can see.

We arrived at Hay and it was freezing cold, the following morning we thought it might be the coldest place in Australia, but we were brave and rugged ourselves up for a visit to the Shearers Hall of Fame...even went to the shed and watched the fastest shearer in the west shear a sheep!

On towards Mildura, passing through Balranald bought back many happy memories of my times visiting my sister Marilyn, Richard and family...they lived there for 7 years while Richard was Deputy Head of the Balranald Central School...we drove through the town and enjoyed morning tea right opposite their home on the Murrumbidgee River...what a beautiful view from their front garden!

Arriving at Mildura later that day we were pleasantly surprized with our choice of caravan park as it was on the edge of the National Park and it had its own lovely sandy beach on the Murray River...very relaxing!

The next day we took a trip on the paddle-steamer, Keith received his Masters Certificate for Navigation of the Murray River...quite an acheivement! When we boarded we noticed the kettles were already on for morning tea, we lazed the morning away sipping tea as we paddled down the river...it was beautiful!

That night we were fortunate enough to get the last table at Stefano's Restaurant for his 5 course degustation menu...what a delightful time we had and the food was absolutely gorgeous...so much so we quickly found his Cafe' called Deakin Cafe' the next morning for coffee...after 2 coffees we came out laden with gourmet food to enjoy along the way.

Stefano was the chef who wrote 'A Gondola on the Murray' and had a TV series of the same name...he kindly signed his book for us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Our beach at the van parkOur beach at the van park
Our beach at the van park

...note our van in centre of photo
...relaxing on our beach!...relaxing on our beach!
...relaxing on our beach!

The folks in the van next door to us at Mildura had the following message on the back of their van... 'how wonderful to do nothing and relax afterwards' so true!


26th June 2008

Glad to recieve an update
Hi you happy little travellers, I was so happy to hear from you as I felt you had left us back in Dubbo with the animals and we were dying to hear how many more coffee shops you are going to find on the way. Keep well and Love to you Both Narelle and Hans xoxoxo
29th June 2008

Photos
Why are there so many photos of Par and not Nanny? But I miss you and I really want you to bring the boomerang really soon as I'm looking forward to showing it at Show and Tell. Love Lockie.

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb