Days off in Darwin


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
December 2nd 2007
Published: December 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 245 (27.11.07)

After a packed few days and all of our early get-ups on the tour we decided to have some lazy time in Darwin. We were staying a little longer than originally planned as this gave us the cheapest flight to Cairns so we had a few days to relax.

Today we had a long and much appreciated lie-in and then planned to head around to see some of the town with Eve. We started the walking tour in our book and got to the first site, St Mary's Cathedral before deciding it was just too hot and humid and we'd rather be in the hostel pool! The heat and humidity in Darwin is very reminiscent of the climate when we first arrived in Vietnam.

We lazed in and around the pool for the rest of the afternoon and then had another free dinner at the Vic and went for a quick wander along the Esplanade to look at the lights of the boats out at sea. Eve, the remaining member of Team Sweden, left us to fly on to Cairns and we hope to meet up again sometime along the East coast.

Day 246 (28.11.07)

We had a little shopping to do today so caught the bus out to Casuarina Square where we'd been told we could find some cheap shops. A few hours later we had everything we needed and were back in the city and back in the pool.

We'd been told Darwin was a great place for seafood so we decided to take ourselves out for some nice grub. At this point we need to thank Alan and Margaret as they gave us some Aussie dollars as a wedding pressie and we thought this would be a great way to spend them - many thanks.

We opted for some Crocodile to start - had to really. Guess what it tasted like? Chicken! Very tasty though! We then had a huge seafood platter to share with amongst other things some barramundi and some extremely tasty oysters. A great feast and a welcome change from Vic free dinners.

Day 247 (29.11.07)

We spent another lazy day by the pool today waiting for it to cool down a little before we headed out to the Northern Territory Museum and Art Gallery. We decided to walk as it didn't look too far on the leaflet but a sweaty hour later we were thrilled to fall into the air-conditioned haven of the museum.

The museum was really good with highlights being the massive stuffed crocodile "Sweetheart" and the section on Cyclone Tracy. Sweetheart was terrorising locals by attacking small fishing boats so it was decided that he should be moved to a different environment. He was tranquilised but managed to become trapped underneath a log on the riverbed during the removal attempt and 'sadly' drowned. He was huge! Cyclone Tracy hit Darwin and all but wiped it out on Christmas day in 1975 which is why Darwin has such a modern appearance. The display was excellent.

We walked back along the beach towards town spotting a large lizard and lots of little crabs half hidden in holes along the way. Such keen-eyed wildlife spotters we've become!

We managed to scab a couple more vouchers for the Vic for another free tea and then settled down for an evening movie to finish off another chilled day.

Day 248 (30.11.07)

Our last day in Darwin was to follow the theme of the last few. We did nothing but lie by the pool and swim and then took an early evening stroll along the Esplanade and past the old World War 2 oil storage tunnels.

We cooked ourselves a proper feast for dinner and then sat and watched a film whilst we waited for 11.45pm to roll around when we'd catch the shuttle bus to the airport for our flight to Cairns.




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Hello SweetheartHello Sweetheart
Hello Sweetheart

5m long croc


7th December 2007

Great to talk
Hello you guys. Fantastic that you called the other day - was hoping to spot a photo of the new automobile but it looks like I might have to wait for that. What did you call her by the way? Cxx PS News hot off the press - I have negotiated to go part time in the new year and so start setting up the new business!
19th December 2007

Merry Christmas
Hello Fitties!!! Missing you my lovelies!!! Finish work soon so wanted to send you some loverly Christmas cheer!!! Have an awesome Christmas and enjoy New Year with your Mum and Dad!! How exciting!!! We are still plannign a trip to Oz but in March now.. will you still be there??? Would be just awesome to meet up with chus!!!!! Loving you long time xxxx

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0672s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb