Alice Springs/Banka Banka


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin » City of Darwin
October 19th 2010
Published: October 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

So today is the first day of the second 3 day tour I'm doing. Jannick, Max, Heather and I were still having breakfast when our new tour guide came to pick us up. His name is Keith (or Papa Keith) and he's in his 50's. The only other people on our tour were Christine from Scotland and Nicholas from Italy, and they had already been on another 3 day tour together with a different company. So just the 6 of us this time.

We stopped at the Tropic of Capricorn for photos, and then stopped again at the Barrow Creek Pub which is where the overland telegraph station used to be. From there we went past the Devils Marbles, and had a wander round them for an hour or so. It was very hot so we didn't linger for too long. From there it was more driving to Banka Banka Station, which is our campsite for tonight. They had fabolous showers here and no other guests, so I had the best, longest shower of the trip so far. We've been showering every second day pretty much, because with all the early starts it easier to just roll out of bed and get moving.

Day 5 : Banka Banka to Katherine Gorge
No visit to the Top End would be complete without a visit to the famed Daly Waters pub, a quintessential outback roadhouse and ‘watering hole’ for travellers from far and wide. Mataranka lies in the heart of the ‘never-never’, and you’ll feel a million miles from anywhere as you soak in the steamy thermal springs. As the day draws to a close, we reach our overnight camp at stunning Katherine Gorge. (BLD)

Day 6 : Katherine Gorge to Darwin
The gorge is all yours this morning, with a half day to spend canoeing or cruising (at own expense and seasonal) the spectacular waters. Want to see more? Jump aboard a helicopter flight (at own expense) which will take you high above the vast gorge system. We’ll head to Darwin after a stop at idyllic Edith Falls. (BL)



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb