Back in Darwin


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin » City of Darwin
October 24th 2008
Published: October 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast at Banyan TreeBreakfast at Banyan TreeBreakfast at Banyan Tree

This is the only regular brewed coffee we've had in Australia. The choices are usually espresso or instant Nescafe.
Back in Darwin Day 23
October 24, 2008

Breakfast was included with our cabin at Banyan Tree and we had our choice of juices and a ham and cheese sandwich (white bread, of course). We were back in Darwin and had returned the Nissan by 10 AM. Too hot already to do much walking around so we bought an internet pass ($$$$ gulp) and worked out more trip details. We are trying to figure out why internet usage is free in Guatemala and costs so much in places in Australia.

Darwin is a nice city considering it was bombed in WWII and destroyed by a cyclone in 1979. I guess that’s why it’s nice…everything’s fairly new. We walked over to the pedestrian mall and bought two hat netting covers for Uluru (Ayers Rock). We’ve seen too many videos of people swatting the flies away from their faces and want to be prepared. We walked on to the Wharf District to get some lunch and ended up eating with a couple, Vicky and Keith, who were nice enough to not only give us a ride to the restaurant but also back to our hotel. They were an interesting pair, Keith
Our Cabin at Banyan TreeOur Cabin at Banyan TreeOur Cabin at Banyan Tree

I saw the dingo near here. We wish we could have stayed here longer.
owns and trains racehorses in Alice Springs and Melbourne. Both were so witty, they had us laughing all the way through our seafood salad and fresh prawns. Here’s a hot tip for the Melbourne Cup (Australia’s equivalent to the Kentucky Derby). Bet on the horse named “Efficient” ridden by Keith’s son jockey son, Steve.

Our hotel room got upgraded to a deluxe, maybe it’s because I complained about the Internet fees. It’s the nicest room we’ve had yet and with the Australian dollar dropping even more today (63) it’s a deal.

We have to get up very early to catch the Ghan, the train to Alice Springs. We will spend the first night there, then take a rental car to Uluru, the Olgas, and possibly King’s Canyon. We will leave on the Ghan again from Alice Springs on Oct. 30, arriving in Adelaide on Oct. 31. I may not have Internet access until Adelaide so am giving you a preview of upcoming events.

Joe is watching the World Series on TV. He just now said, “Wouldn’t you know, we aren’t going to be in the U.S. on Thursday when they’re giving away a free taco at Taco Bell from 2 to 6 PM.” Yes, that’s a damn shame.














Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Wharf RestaurantWharf Restaurant
Wharf Restaurant

Check out the menu where we ate lunch today. We should have tried the croc or camel, but stuck with the seafood.
Darwin WharfDarwin Wharf
Darwin Wharf

Our new friends, Keith and Vicky and an oil drilling platform that was in for repairs. First time I'd ever seen one of these up close. It's something to see.


Tot: 0.198s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0961s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb