Top End of Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin » City of Darwin
October 24th 2008
Published: October 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Flying to Darwin


Top End
October 20, 2008

We are now in what is called the Top End, the Northern Territory… not a state but it acts like a state. Our flight out of Cairns was delayed for “technical problems” (have no idea what that was all about) so we landed in Darwin an hour later than scheduled. Things are expensive here. Internet is $11 an hour, so if you are reading this entry days later it’s because I think that’s excessive. Have you ever heard of a hotel with three stories with no elevators? Well, you have now. It’s called the Mareemba Resort and, naturally, we’re on the third floor, which is the second floor in Australia, since the first floor is called the ground floor.

It’s hot here, but not uncomfortably hot, and not humid. Even Joe thinks it’s ok. Darwin is a city of around 70,000 and we had a good time walking through the center tonight. We watched the sun set (sort of) on the Indian Ocean. Even on a Monday the bars, shops, and restaurants were busy. We ate at the best Thai food I’ve ever had, maybe because this is the closest to Thailand I’ve ever been? Ha. Joe is down at the hotel pool, so think I’ll join him.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb