Katherine to Darwin


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin » City of Darwin
August 9th 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi all.
Katherine was pretty much a chill out and relaxing place. We spent most of our time doing nothing. You may all think that being on holidays is all about relaxing but when you spend hours driving or constantly unpacking and repacking you do become pretty exhausted. So Katherine was our regroup.
We saw the hot springs and the low level crossing which was right near where we were staying and had a general look around the area.
The night before we were leaving Katherine a couple that had been traveling along the same route as us since Karumba pulled into the camp spot next to our camp. Klaus and Yvonne had traveled from Wombarra (near Wollongong) and were still heading the same direction as us but needed to catch up on a few things before heading out.
So we headed to Katherine Gorge and hoped we would meet up again before Kakadu.
Katherine Gorge was a big tourist haven. It was more designed to have scenic fights or boat rides up the gorges then anything else.
We thought that it was nowhere near as nice as Lawn Hill and the walks were all rated difficult and long. We did do the Windolf walk which ended up being around 10kms. It was very strenuous and not really worth the effort for the view.
After leaving Katherine Gorge we went to Edith Falls, quickly did the walk, which had a nice waterhole half way along, before heading to Kakadu National Park.
We spent the first night at Gunlom Falls. The falls were almost dried up but the view from the top was still very beautiful.
From Gunlom we headed to Jim Jim Billabong and stayed here as a base camp for three nights, while venturing out to see the sights. We decided to have potato bake (second one on the trip) and as it was cooking we had a few drinks. A few too many for myself and not long after the dinner was cooked and eaten that it decided it didn’t want to stay in my belly any longer and I was sick.
As there are numerous walks throughout the park we tried to do at least one per area. We headed out to Yellow Water to have a look at the sites. The walk along the boardwalk headed to a viewing platform overlooking the wetlands and also headed off to the left to another platform. Once arriving here we found that it was quite overgrown and hadn’t appeared too been used in at least a season or two.
Near Yellow Water was Cooinda Resort, it was quite opened and had a swimming pool. Since it was a hot day I went in for a dip to cool off.
The next day we headed out to Jim Jim Falls and Twin Falls a 70km 4WD only track. Twin Falls had a water crossing of just over 1.2m and also a short boat ride before a short walk to the falls. Making it a nice place to get away from all the Britz’s and tour groups as it was a requirement to have a 4WD and snorkel.
Along the ferry ride we saw plenty of Barramundi and Saratoga, along with turtles and croc traps. The water was crystal clear and very inviting if you didn’t mind the $5500 fine if you swam here. There was a 4m croc caught a week before and removed.
The falls were flowing quite a bit and it was a very peaceful area.
The crossing back wasn’t as dry as it was the first time round and the height of the water was just over the bull bar and bonnet height in places. We ended up with some water in the car which is lucky that we had vinyl floor and not carpet. We continued along towards Jim Jim falls and noticed a sloshing noise along the way. After a quick look around it appeared that we had filled up the cab with water under the vinyl floor and it was having trouble getting out. We cleaned all the drain holes out but it still took about three days of driving and sloshing water to get it all out.
The walk to Jim Jim Falls was over very large boulders and wasn’t half as nice as Twin Falls though it was still flowing.
The next day we did the Maguk walk to a big plunge pool and also a walk to a lookout over the area. As we were leaving we ran into Klaus and Yvonne. They were staying at Cooinda and were doing a cruise that afternoon, so we parted ways again.

From here the bugs got worse.

They were ok during the day but come about 6.30 the mozzies and midgees come from all over to attack you.
The walk around Nourlangie Rock had some really nice art work. The paintings were x-ray designed. Finally, artwork that wasn’t just hand prints and stone carvings.
We headed to Jabiru and were surprised to have phone reception. We had a look around and went out to Ubirr (Ooberr) to set up camp at Merl. A few hours later who should drive pass but Klaus and Yvonne; we were finally at the same place at the same time.
They set their kombi up (brand new VW Trakka) and enjoyed the night swapping stories and experiences.
The next day we headed off on our own way but we’re still travelling the same direction. Ubirr was very similar to Nourlangie Rock but had more scenery. Klaus and Yvonne joined us for this before we headed to Cahill’s crossing for lunch and some croc watching.
Cahill’s crossing is renowned for its crocs and in the three hour period we were there we saw about six 5-6m salties (we know there we at least three as they all surfaced at the same time). It was such an amazing site to see and it will stay with us for a long while.
The tide was running in when we first arrived, it changed quickly and started to run out. It dropped about a metre in an hour and was still running when we left. We were surprised at how quickly it changed.
We headed back to Merl for another night before heading back to Jabiru and out to Aurora Resort.
Here we spotted a wild dog running through the camp, not to mention the crows who wanted our dinner and numerous dingoes.
As we were still travelling together we spent an extra night on the tar at Mary River and tried our hand at lure fishing. First cast and I lost my lure but we started to get the hang of it in the end but with no bites (give me bait fishing any day).
Mick and I wanted to head out to Shady Camp the next day so we parted ways as the kombi was only 2WD (And they had already had enough of dirt through the gulf).
Shady Camp is supposed to be croc and barra city. We did spot 2 crocs sunning themselves on the opposite bank but we didn’t throw a line in so we don’t know if it was true.
We stayed at Corroboree Inn and at $5 each we thought this was a bargain that was until we got woken up at 6am in the morning, the owner turned the sprinklers on near us and it wet the inside of the trailer. We were not happy.
Since we had some time to kill before heading to Darwin (Larissa, Mick’s sister, is flying up to meet us later this month) we thought we should see Litchfield National Park first.
We had a trek note through the park and decided to do it backwards from Adelaide River up. As Daly River (really good barra fishing) was only 30km off the track we thought we’d have a look before starting the trip. We dropped a few lines in but to no avail. (Seem to need a boat for nearly all fishing up this way) We tried again in the morning but still no luck so we headed for the start of the trip.
As it was dirt this side Mick went to air down only to find the rear tyre missing to wheel studs. Having know idea how this could have happened (Nissan’s don’t break) we headed to Darwin early to repair it.
It has a least given Mick a chance to put the brakes back on the trailer and do a much needed wash of the car.
We haven’t really thought of what we are going to do the next week or so as we are booked to be back on the 19th.

Take care all.

Happy birthday Mylee, Gerren and Uncle John. Wish I was there for the pj party Myles.

#





Advertisement



9th August 2007

Whats doin Mick and Trace you old catz!!!! Give me a ring when you get a chance it would be good to chat. The only news that I have is that STRUNG OUT and BAD RELIGION are touring AUS and playing a show at the Hordern. Bad luck for you but I had tix before they even went on sale. I had a happy time in my pants just thinking about it. STRUNG OUT are and will always be the best band in the world!!!!!!!! Anyways give me a buzz soon. You know you miss me!!
22nd August 2007

2 sleeps to go!!
hi there guys....2 sleeps to go and i thought i would post my final blog before i come up to darwin..yay! so excited! i can't wait to get into cosies and swim around and sail on the water and have seafood . Not alot happening here. single again yay! john and i broke up on sunday and i'm the happiest girl alive. i know this may sound mean but i was just so bored and couldn't be bothered with it all. anyway i will fill you guys in on all the goss when i get there so i don't say too much on here for everyone to read! Work is getting busier and busier everyday which is great. i like feeling like i have a purpose at this place. and i love getting things done. so that's nice. booked my trip to Kl for 3 weeks time (actually it's less than 3 weeks now) . i have one weekend in between darwin and going overseas...talking about hectic! but it should keep me on my toes. by the time i get back i will be ready for some summer lovin...that is the beach not boys! no boyfriends for now they are waaay too much effort. i can't wait! other than that i had a great weekend...got body painted and went to hayleys place for wayne's birthday. was good to see all the girls. and have birthday cake too. i swear winter is a killer on the waist department these days. not as easy as it used to be! going for a run to try and counteract my overindulging this week- 2 work dinners back to back killed me. 3 courses and wine etc. you just overeat and you don't even mean it!! anyway hope you guys are enjoying the sun- that text made me soo jealous of you guys in the sun by the water. that will be me soon...actually 2 sleeps to be precise!! call you on friday to make sure you are going to pick me up and not leave me stranded in darwin on my own :)!! Lots of Love Tissy xoxoxoxoxo

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb