Drive to Alice Springs


Advertisement
Published: June 8th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -23.7004, 133.881

This morning we check out at 9.00 am, fill the car with fuel at $1.98 per litre (is this the dearest fuel in Australia) and head towards the real Kings Canyon some 8 km out of town. The car park is full and the flies are on the war path as we don our fly nets and head of on the Creek Walk some 2.6 km. The sheer canyon walls are impressive as we hit a fork in the path.
One heads towards the famous Rim Walk and the other toward the more subdued Creek Walk. Deb takes one look at the steep climb, sheer drop-offs and rickety ladder bridges and immediately chooses the Creek Walk.

Its not long before we reach the end of the track, a platform with an amazing view of the highest cliff walls. We head back to the car park which has free Wi-Fi and do a morning Face Book update then hit the Luritja Road backtracking to the Lasseter Highway then onto the Stuart Highway to Alice Springs some 474 km away.

Its nearing 12.00 am when we pull into the very busy Eridunda Roadhouse who's claim to fame is that it is dead smack in the middle of Australia. Having skipped breakfast we order a hearty meal and two cold beers, our first for the morning. Now back onto the Stuart Highway we spot a speed sign stating 130 km per hour wha-hoo! and we pretty much stick to that speed all the way into Alice.

On arriving at our Hotel (The Chiffley) we unpack and take a short stroll across the Todd Bridge into town. Damm! Its Saturday afternoon and everything is closed as it will be tomorrow and Monday being a public holiday. Not to worry we find the Todd Hotel and have a nice cold beer and buy some wine at the bottle shop before heading back to the hotel for a well earned rest after our long road trip. Tonight we check the restaurant menu which is listing 70% of its courses as Barramundi, so we decide to get take away and settle down to a movie in our room.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb