A town like Alice.......


Advertisement
Published: April 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

I had often wondered what Alice Springs was really like ..... a small hot and dry one horse town in the middle of a desert? Maybe very much isolated from the rest of Australia? Was it really worth visiting?

In fact Alice Springs is a reasonable sized town with good road and air links.

There is some pleasant greenery and parkland and it even rained on the day we arrived!

There are several shops to visit that sell aboriginal art and crafts.

Anzac Hill provides a panoramic view of Alice and the surrounding MacDonnell hills.

Alice turned out to be a great base to explore the Red Centre of Australia and the Old Telegraph Station and Olive Pink's Botanic gardens are well worth a visit.

The Old Telegraph Station opened in 1872 and an overland telegraph line ran from Darwin to Adelaide - this was a major construction feat and played a large part in Australia's development.

The story of Olive Pink is also fascinating but go to Alice and read all about it....


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



6th April 2014

The Old Telegraph Station
I loved it and it's fascinating trying to understand what it must have been like in the early days when it really would have been the 'back of beyond'. The isolation must have been so hard to cope with then.

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb