Grant and Rae's Oz Trip Feb/Mar 2014


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Alice Springs
February 12th 2014
Published: February 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday continued..........went off to Kaka Tjuta/The Olgas, impressive "domes" not to far from Uluru. Because of the temperature, The Valley of the Winds walk was only open up to the first lookout point (more than 36 degrees and the National Park Rangers limit the distances you are allowed to go). So we did that and then another walk into the Walpa Gorge. In the Valley of the Winds it wasn't windy...........but on the way back it poured and we got soaked. Fortunately the temperature only dropped 10 degrees, to 30! But it cleared up and we carried on with the 2nd walk. It rained a bit more after when we reached the sunset viewing area, but as the wine was opened by then, nobody bothered! - pics attached.

Wednesdsy........up at 03.30 to head off to the Kings Canyon, stopping off for breakfast on the way. We did the 6km Rim Walk (Rae thought the guy said "moon" walk but I told her that that happened in London!). It started with a 500 step "staircase" - man-made but not exactly your normal stairs. See pics. Weather was kind to us as it was overcast and breezy, keeping it relatively cool (or less hot!). Some amazing scenery.......including The Garden of Eden, an oasis of greenery at the bottom oft the Canyon. It took a bit over 3 hours to complete and was a good test for Rae's foot. During this, Ryan our guide regaled us with tales of how "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" was filmed around there. Got our lunch at a "servo", or service station to you and me. Long coach trip back to Alice Springs, punctuated by several sleeps. But had a refreshing dip in the pool before going for dinner.

Fly to Adelaide tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb