The Road Trip, first half


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Alice Springs
December 22nd 2007
Published: December 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Thurs 22nd Nov:
Day 1 - Yungaburra to Normanton, 621km.
Drove, melted in heat, got cabin at campsite with pool.
Dived into pool which was like bath water, not what I was after!
Awful storm in the night making humidity ridiculous!

Fri 23rd Nov:
Day 2 - Normanton to Mount Isa, 499km.
Drove, melted in heat, found skanky old hostel with old beds and rubbish mattresses.
Visit to Drs as managed to get ear infection. Í didn't realise we'd driven through a time zone so arrived 30mins late for my appointment. Fortunately for me, their computers had crashed so I got away with it! Even saw a dr who'd done some of his training in Plymouth, small world!

Sat 24th Nov:
Hostel filled with residents rather than backpackers so they were partying most of the night. Don't go backpacking if you need your sleep, you'll be really disappointed!!!!
Day 3 - Mount Isa to Tennent Creek, 654km.
Drove, melted in heat, treated ourselves to motel with awesome a/c (temp 37).
Even went out for a meal and few drinks, both in need of some sleep.

Sun 25th Nov:
Day 4 - Tennent Creek to Alice Springs, 515km.
Drove, melted in heat, arrived at Annies hostel in Alice, as recommended by Canadian couple we met at Normanton.
Booked our 3 day Mulgas trip, leaving on Tues.
Was Auntie Audrey's b'day so was waiting to ring her but Dad rang with the news that she'd been taken into hospital and would probably not be coming home again. Distraught with the news and trying to find some way to deal with it, difficult when you're on the otherside of the world and literally in the middle of nowhere!

Mon 26th Nov:
Night passed in a blur, couldn't think of anything other than getting home. Fortunately I have a great family and some awesome friends, that and Auntie Audrey telling me not too, who convinced me to stay. We wandered around Alice and picked up a few souvenirs.
Early night as trip leaves at 0530 tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Devils MarblesDevils Marbles
Devils Marbles

Yes, it was as hot as it looks!
Guess where I am?Guess where I am?
Guess where I am?

at long last.......


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb