broome to alice


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Alice Springs
October 7th 2007
Published: October 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi all….
“If it could happen it happened”.
After leaving Broome we headed for the Gibb River Rd. for those of you who haven’t heard it, it is a long corrugated dirt road linking Derby to Kununurra. We stayed at Windjana Gorge for the first two nights enabling us to walk through the spectacular gorge, where we saw many freshwater crocodiles and taking a trip down to Tunnel Creek.
Tunnel Creek is a series of caves about 750 metres long that you are able to walk though and in some parts you need to wade threw water to access them.
After leaving Windjana we headed to Bell Gorge. A long 1km walk down a steep cliff brought us a very nice waterfall. After a nice swim in the gorge we headed back to the car.
Along the way we saw, Adcock Gorge, Galvins Gorge and stayed at Manning Gorge for the night. They were all very pretty and I was beginning to really enjoy the Kimberley’s despite the 40° plus temperatures we were getting.
We decided not to walk to the Manning Falls as only part of them were flowing and continued along our way. We also left the trip up to Mitchell Falls (about 600kms round trip) for another time as the $1.99 a litre fuel price at Mount Barnet Station was a bit much for our budget.
Continuing along the way and not far past Durack River crossing (it was dry) we got a puncture. As the only spares left had already had punctures along our trip it was a choice of ‘bad’ or ‘really bad’. We tried to plug the puncture but the steel belts had been broken again (a good reason we think and are sure they are a dodgy batch of tyres), so after choosing ‘bad’ we were on our way.
It was really scenic through these parts and as we came to the Pentecost River I got out taking a photo. There was another leak in the tyre on the same corner. After crossing the river we pumped it up and tried the can of tyre foam, it didn’t work (it was a faulty can). So we continued as it was just a slow leak. Not much further down the road the same tyre got another puncture, and as we were in a dip at the time we had to continue till flatter ground, the tyre popped of the bead as the air was pissing out.
The only other spare was the one under the tray that had also puncture through the steel beads but had been patched up.
It was very hard work (I tried my best to help, it was my best even though it wasn’t much) in the 43° day.
After getting fixed we decided to limp out as quickly as possible and get back to the tar. So we headed back to Kununurra before continuing back to Katherine and down the Stuart Hwy to Alice Springs.
We weren’t the only ones that day to have punctures. We past two (we stopped for one, he was changing the tyre in his undies and the other was filming his puncture) and saw a car that had had two spares on the rear the day before now only have one. So it always pays to have two spares in this region and good tyres before you start out, also helps if you don’t buy Goodyear tyres.
The good thing out of this was we got to see the Devils Marbles, another attraction we wanted to visit and was scenic and very worth while.
We are now meeting Ian in Broken Hill as we are continuing on the tar the whole way (just to be on the safe side), the car is still in perfect condition minus some paint it is just the tyres and a few reputable brand name items that have failed on us so far (Mick and Casey did a good job in setting up the car and keeping us both safe).
The rest of the Kimberley’s and the Tanami Desert will now be another trip some time in the future.
Till next time…..

#

We have been informed that Brent Young is now a woman....



Advertisement



9th October 2007

Well I was going to post something heart felt about how we all miss you guys and hope you come back soon but after that comment I don't think so. Gee it's lucky for me that no really reads these blogs so no one will ever see that comment!!!! :> Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb