Ice cold in Alice


Advertisement
Published: June 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi, folks.
Well, as the outback has unsurprisingly poor internet access this will be mercifully short.
We left you after our escapades in Mt Hotham whereafter we continued on our way to meet up with Marlene (a lady that lives near Melbourne and we last saw in Livingston in Zambia). We stayed with her in her beautiful house for a few days and nipped in to do a spot of snapping in the Victorian capital, enjoyed the use of a shower and ate some lovely food prepared by Marlene's son, Brent. Thanks so much to both if you're reading this.
After Melbourne we headed down the great ocean road to picture the rolling coastline in the south before, eventually, arriving in Adelaide.
Adelaide itself is probably the smallest looking major town that we've visited so far (but still manages to somewhere house 1.4 million people). We jumped on the free bus around the town centre and visited the Don Bradman museum (cricket fans would appreciate it), before heading north and on into the outback.
Whilst constantly monitoring the fuel level in our 2.6l V8 we headed through the desolate wastelands to the opal mines of Cobber Pedy where we visited one of the show mines and a few of the dug out, underground houses that the locals inhabit.
Another days driving afterwards and we were in the northern territory and, eventually, Uluru itself.
Having taken the obligatory sunrise pictures we embarked on the 10Km base walk in the strong (if not overly hot) sun. This gave me a bought of sunstroke and lead to an afternoon in bed feeling sick and with a massive headache. Returning in the early morning the next day we headed to the Olgas (Kata Tjuta) for some more walks an d snaps before bombing it over to Kings Canyon for a late afternoon walks through the gorge.
Having driven for about four hours this morning you now find us in Alice Springs, an slightly odd feeling small metropolis in the desert (although most of it seems to be closed at the moment).
Now we're preparing for our mad dash over to the east coast (another three or four day journey) before speeding south back down to Sydney.
Stay tuned to flickr for the photies as and when we find better internet access.
Take care all,

Linz and Bri

Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb